Fail - Why??

blopez579
on 8/21/13 12:53 am
RNY on 09/11/13

I don't know whether to be happy to find this forum, or wish I hadn't.  I am scheduling surgery today for mid Sep.   I am mortified that I could stick to plan and still gain (more than the expected rebound).  There seems to be more people with this issue than the 5% I thought was the failure rate. 

Would you all mind posting a quick answer?  Like a poll?  I'd like to know how many of each there are!  Feel free to make your own "C" if I didn't think of an obvious one.  I'll count up answers and post results.  Thank you!

A - I ate strictly on plan and gained weight

B - I went off plan and gained weight

Peace and love, Barbara

lurknomore
on 8/21/13 9:35 pm, edited 8/21/13 9:36 pm

C - I ate strictly on plan, only lost about 30 pounds, then stalled out. Joined the gym and went everday for 3 months...lost 1 pound.

My body rebelled against me and it took me more than a year to start losing again....and it's very, very slow.

Surgery weight was 259, after losing 9 pounds on the liquid diet.

Current weight (3 years later) 218, lowest weight was 212.6

This is not meant to discourage you. The reality is MOST people do lose the weight within about a year, unless they are super morbidly obese. If they are SMO, it may take longer. I just want you to know it IS possible to do everything right and not lose the weight.

You will probably do well...but if you stay stalled for more than a month, you will want to seek help. I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Alvarez. He advertises after care, but the truth is...there is no real aftercare available. I emailed him several times for advice and he always said not to worry, I would lose the weight. He said the surgery would get me to around 165, then I'd have to work hard for the rest. Never got there.

His adviser Susan and I did not communicate well. I was very anxious and frankly I think I got on her nerves when I panicked about not losing the weight. I was self pay and very upset that I paid $10,000 and only lose around 30 pounds.

I wish you well!

chrispy_man
on 8/28/13 1:46 pm - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
B For me or rather I thought I was on the plan.....

RNY, went from 440 to something like 257 in the first year (loss includes preop)
Stopped losing and gained to about 295
Spent 1-1/2 years wasting time thinking I was doing it right
Discovered my maintenance plan as provided by the doctor
Started following it and started losing again
Went to see the NUT who explained maintenance is for maintenance go figure
Restarted on an adapted plan via my NUT
Lost even more weight , now at my lowest around 247
Refocusing again, no telling where this tool will take me
Setting my sights on 240 right now, THEN ...
220 so I can say I have lost as much as I now weigh

Obvioously lots of details to this that I am not posting. My experience suggests we are all different and need to fine tune our plan as time goes on. Love to post more but this is already too long. I'm happy to share if you or anyone else has questions.

Chrispy

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

datachick
on 9/4/13 7:21 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Well, if you are asking in the "Failed" forum, you're gonna get a bunch of people who have failed.

Quit hanging out here. Surround yourself with positive stuff. Plenty of people are successful.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Jevika
on 1/4/14 4:58 am
RNY on 12/13/13

Agreeing with DataChick here. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/6/13 8:59 am
I think the question is what is the plan ... That "plan" maybe different for different people... I know I need to stay on really low carb diet and exercise not to gain. Some can eat moderate diet and not gain. I have to be very, very strict with mine. Age, genetics, post op long term complications (food allergies, RH, food intolerance, etc.) and other issues may determine what "plan" a person need to follow to be able to maintain..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mary Catherine
on 1/4/14 5:17 am

50% regain 50% by year 5.  If lost 100 have regained 50

Most Active