RNY Revision b/c of regret?

Marissa G.
on 8/21/13 2:24 pm - CA

Has anyone reversed their bypass because they regretted it?  If so, is  the stomach back to normal, do you still experience dumping, and any other issues regarding the surgery?    

I am 25 and 1 month to my surgery. I'm thinking about long long term, when im in my 60s. Will I need my stomach altered for that long of time? Can it ever go back to normal if you have a revision? 

Jacob H.
on 8/21/13 3:09 pm, edited 8/21/13 3:10 pm - CA

I have thought about it, but three things always stop me. First is financial, unless its you need it to live a reversal is out of pocket. Second, the mere idea of gaining weight again brings most of us to tears. Lastly with so much scar tissue in you system after a reversal a bowl obstruction is almost an inevitability. Through the years my "pouch" has stretched significantly. I can eat a full plate of food, sometimes 2 on a good day. But I don't worry about it because I exercise constantly. My job is constant very demanding cardio, and I've recently started working on more muscle tone in a gym. Aside from that I lead a very normal life and even indulge in treats occasionally. Before surgery exercise was a dirty word and I had to wash my mouth with chocolate, now I thoroughly enjoy it, and don't feel the need to eat junk food all the time. At this point only reason I would get a reversal is if the doctor told me I had no choice. It was too much work to get this far just to throw it away

ps. Forgot to mention; through the ten years I have had times of doubt, but being able to run and chase my children around and play with them, makes every second of it worth it

hollykim
on 8/28/13 3:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I don't think it can ever " go back to normal" cause part of it is sectioned off and may or may not be reusable after a very long time.

Parts of the remnant stomach can be used sometimes to create a new Wls procedure,but back to normal,I don't think so.
Gl

Kathyjs
on 3/17/15 2:30 pm

12 years later I still dump, I am glad. Do I regret surgery, RNY not for a minute. If I get sick it's my own fault. I would do this In a heartbeat. Good luck. By the way I am 65

Most Active