2 Surgeries I need to try to get back on track.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 12/4/13 7:14 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Hello everyone,

In 2008 I had the Lap Band surgery Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal covered the surgery.  Lost 17 lbs and gained back 14 lbs.  

In 2009, I had the Vertical Sleeve done and lost 30 lbs and gained 20 lbs.  BCBS Fed denied the coverage, so I self paid.  Right now I'm around 190 lbs.  

Last month, I visited another surgeon and I wanted to get the RNY.  I was jumping through all the hoops, and the doctor's office turned in a Predetermination to BCBS Federal.  They sent me a letter saying that I had not done the 3 months of supervised diet for the revision and I was not in compliance with the diet and exercise with previous 2 surgeries.  Also, I did call BCBS Federal and asked about getting revised to the DS, but my BMI had to be 50 or more. 

The LB did not work for me, it was horrible I could not keep my food in.   I was still starving all the time.

With the Sleeve, the restriction was there for a short time.  I would go and see my Sleeve doctor and he basically insulted me and said I was his worse patient.  Even the psychiatrist said I was a dumb ass.  I don't think that I can eat the same amount of what I used to before both surgeries, but I still get hungry.  I also have a sweet tooth that I never had before.  I also have really bad acid reflux.  I have moderate Sleep Apnea, Diabetes II and High Blood Pressure.  White carbs are very addictive and when you eat them you can never stop, unless you stop detox.  

Is there anyone out there that is trying to get back on track with your Sleeve?   

When I talked to the new doctor for the RNY, he said there was a study done about the VSG and most patients gain their weight back and if they did not like sweets before they would develop a sweet tooth.  

Is there anyone out there trying to back on track with your Sleeve or Pouch?  

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all of you!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

tagger
on 12/18/13 2:22 am - Canada

Hi Babygirl,

I remember reading your posts a couple of years ago about your struggle for success with your VSG.  Then, as now our stories are identical.  I had my lapband in 2007 and removed in 2009 because I could either eat everything or eat nothing.  Revised to VSG in 2009 and my total weight loss with the band and VSG is only about 30 lbs.  I hover around 190 now.  I can eat pretty much anything though not in the quantity I could pre op  but like you, sugar is my downfall. 

I don't have any advice for you but just wanted to let you know you are not alone in your struggles.  I had such hope for these surgeries but just never had the restriction that was promised.  I stopped coming to these sites because it was so disappointing that I was not one whose weight was falling off.  People will tell you to start over and cut out the carbs but I have done this so many times and never lose more than a couple of pounds.  I don't know where to go from here.

Maybe someone will have some ideas?

Kim

x     
Lapband placed May 24/07 - starting weight 220 lbs
Lapband removed June 26/09            
Virgie Tschirhart
on 12/18/13 9:56 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Hi Kim,

I really wish I had the RNY.  However, I was scared at the time.  Yes, we are in the same boat.  I thank you for sharing with me.  Keep in touch.  Hope something comes up for us.  Thanks for replying. 

Virgie Tschirhart

datachick
on 12/19/13 4:26 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

H ow much are you exercising. H ow many calories are you eating? protein? taking vitamins regularly? logginh food and exercise? Attending support group of some kind?

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 1/1/14 4:16 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Yes, I have been taking my vitamins.  I will have to get back to all the other basics again.  Walking, eating protein first, cutting all the white carbs, logging in a food journal, drinking water.  Also, getting involved in a support group.  

Thanks for replying!  Happy New Year!!!

Virgie Tschirhart

dsherrera
on 1/6/15 1:35 am

I had the rny 5 years ago and have regained 75 percent of my weight.  I did really good until I had cancer a year and a half after and just let my diet totally fall to peices.  I started a all protein drink for a week per my MD and got sick as a dog.  I have been slowly losing weight recently but have no idea why.  I am back on OH to get motivated to follow the correct eating plan and do a carb withdrawal.  I wish I had never had surgery in the first place.  I didn't get that this was really another diet, but I hope I can get it together with being back on this site.

christinamudd
on 2/27/14 11:42 am

Kim, 

I'm sorry about your frustration.  I'm sorry to say but your downfall is a diets worse enemy.  You need to cut out the sugar!  That's the one thing that;'s going to get through your eating restrictions!  Completely eliminate ALL sugar cold turkey and you will no longer crave it and I do mean ALL SUGAR.  No fruit, no yogurt, no sweetened cereal, etc.  You will go through withdrawals for about a week.  Eat ONLY vegetables and meat.  I really wish you the best of luck!  You were given an excellent tool!  Use it to your advantage!!!

SkinnyScientist
on 3/18/14 3:27 am

What she said. I was a total sugar aholic before surgery. I loved white bread and crackers.  I threw out those carbs because they would cause problems for me post-op (as in tempt me to eat solid foods before I was supposed to) and would tempt me to eat them in vast quantities after my repetitiore of post-op foods opened up.

Last week, some crackers found their way to my house with guests. They were left. I threw them in the garbage because I was looking at them the way an alcoholic looks at a glass of wine.

The first week or two without your addictive food will be hell. Then your body gets over it and you odnt think about them that often (Unless they get brought in the house by guests).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

DustyLady
on 3/18/14 4:50 am - OH

The food that I find myself craving is salt.  I've been known to put salt on potato chips.  As for the cravings going away, they don't.  Not ever.  Never.  And there is no substitute that satisfies.  

Our bodies need sugar and salt to survive.  

SkinnyScientist
on 3/18/14 5:42 am

There is plenty of sugar and salt already added to our food. REad the back of canned goods, store bought foods, and restaurant foods.

We dont need to add more. The world is already "helping us out."

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active