If you could have chose a different surgery

KevinBacon
on 1/9/14 5:09 am
VSG on 03/10/14

If you could go back and change your surgery to something else would you?

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

hollykim
on 1/20/14 1:08 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Yes,I would have had the DS from the get go. I had absolutely no idea that I would need the malabsorption properties as much as I ended up needing it.

gl

hipswishingvinegarball
on 2/17/14 12:12 pm

DS from the get go.

Read for YEARS of all surgeries switching from one thing to the next, and finally the DS. No one with the DS was wanting one of the other ones though.

There are some that have had 3 or more revisions. BS. I wanted to do this ONCE.

Amy R.
on 3/1/14 1:10 am

Just have to say this:  hipswishingvinegarball - I LOVE your screen name!!!

And to the OP - nope.  My surgery was actually tailored to some other medical conditions so I  didn't have the garden variety RnY.  Thanks to that, I have no regrets.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 3/4/14 12:13 pm

Thanks Amy. I have a questoin for you I'll ask you here, as I don't seem to get pm's lately, and I don't think the OP is coming back anyway. 

I read on another board that you had some pain and a blockage was suspected. I had issues with this that went on for several years, going up to UofW and he NEVER could figure out if/where there was a blockage, despite seeing much backup inside me, and numerous scans (during spasms, after wards, with conrast, without, etc). 

I really lost faith in the bariatric surgeons at UofW in Seattle (it wasn't Srikanth) and am wondering who you saw. I finally saw a general surgeon down in Olympia for a gallbladder removal, and he got in there and said "what the heck is all this?!?" and spent a few hours taking out adhesions, which has mercifully ended my painful bouts of suspected obstructions. 

I think I know who you are going to, and am wondering how confident you are he can track down the issue. As dangerous as blockages are, please don't suffer for a long time as I did hoping he'd figure it out. You may want to see if someone else can at least look at the images that have been taken, and sometimes they see something obvious, that has been missed. I wish you luck with this.

Tri_harder
on 6/2/14 12:27 am

Most definitely!  I think the vsg would have been better for me. Tri

ShebasMom
on 1/9/15 1:29 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

I got the rny instead of the sleeve because of severe GERD. Now, I wished I had gotten the DS (with larger sleeve). I didn't meet my goal, stopped losing at 18 months and started gaining after 24 months on 1600 calories. It's been 3.5 years since rny and I gained 35 lbs. Dietitian put me on a 1100-1200 calorie diet with exercise.  I lost 3 lbs in 10 weeks. Now in the process of getting a distal rny.

Appleshaped
on 6/1/15 3:47 am
Yes I would have had the rny
jetskilady
on 8/27/15 8:36 am

I would not have had anything. I had lap band surgery and I feel that if I knew then what I know now; I would have never had it done. I have not been back to my lap band doctor in approx. 4 years. As a matter of fact; I would like to have this thing removed. I think it is all a money racket. I was doing fine and losing weight until the last fill they did in the office years ago and instead of them removing the last fill; they removed all of my fluid. I paid for all those fills and all that money went down the drain. I have only one fill in my band and do not care to go back. Too much money. Everything should be covered with all the money it costs. They did not tell me all that up front about it would cost me everytime they did a fill, plus my office visit and that is a lot of money. I lost 60 lbs and have not lost anymore. I have gained probably about half back. As far at the vomiting and refluxing that others talk about; I have had that too. I even had to go to a gastro surgeon and he said that I needed all the fluid out of the band. It has nothing to do with I eat too much. I can have it no matter what. So; as far as choosing an alternate surgery to lap band, I would choose none. I would just assume to going back to being what I was before I had surgery even if I was fluffy.

Most Active