Weight Regained 10 years later! UGH!

JWF
on 10/17/14 2:52 am

Hi,  I had a RNY procedure on October 25, 2004.  I weighed 345 lbs.  I got down to 255 pounds.  Slowly over the years and making bad food choices, I am back at 300 pounds. My feet are swelling again, I'm getting headaches again, just feeling awful.  I live in Maryland and my surgeon relocated to a new area that I can't get to.  I don't drive.  I still can't eat pasta and rice, but I can eat everything else.  My eating is HORRIBLE!  I also have these horrible pains in my stomach, pockets of air.  The severe pain lasts for a few seconds to a minute and then it goes away.  I don't know what to do anymore...

Any advice?  Any help?

Thanks.

Julie

NYMom222
on 11/1/14 3:52 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Hi Julie, you are better off posting on the RNY forum. It's much more active. Can you try going back to basics? Protein first and cut out any starchy carbs? It helps with the cravings. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Zee Starrlite
on 11/25/14 4:31 am

The good news is that you know why you are gaining "my eating is HORRIBLE". Sounds like if you get back on board to intructed post-op eating that you can do well.  Have you tried the 5 day pouch test www.5daypouchtest.com/ I would recommend getting and reading the entire book if you can.  Then her next book "Beyond Day 5".  Kaye Bailey writes very well.  All you need to remember about post-op eating is there.  You are really lucky that you are not able to eat pasta and rice.  You need to follow thessesimple rules (though for most of us not so simple to follow lol)

1. - Protein first, Non-starchy vegetables/fruits Second, Complex carbs if there is space (don't stuff yourself - know your full signal)

2. - 30/30 rule - no drinking 30 minutes before or after a meal (if you have not been doing this you may want to start with at least 15 mins. then increase as you get used to using this rule again.

3.  No snacking or only smart planned snacking . STOP ALL GRAZING!!!

4.  Lots of water

5. Exercise/body movement.  Try to wear a pedometer and get the recommended 10,000 steps per day.  Start with half if you are not used to moving.  Do something, get up and move it.

6. Journal every morsel you put in your mouth.  You can write it down or use an app like "MyFitnessPal".

7. Join a support group like OA, FAA, TOPS, WW, or a private or community group.

8.Take advantage of all the weight loss motivation videos on Youtube.

best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Gail M.
on 12/26/15 3:04 pm - Scranton, PA

Julie I am in the same situation. Maybe we can encourage each other. 2016 will be our year to get back on track and lose the gained weight. 

Most Active