Feeling awful, angry, and desperate- lap band failure

anrm1221
on 2/10/15 4:19 am

Hi there.  I'm literally still in my doctors office, as I just feel so useless after today's news.  

I have esophageal dilation issues so I was unfilled in November 2014 and I am still unfilled as it has not resolved itself.  I trust my doctor is doing this for my good, but I've gained back so much weight that I feel hopeless.  

I went on weigh****chers, I cut out sugar, I've lowered carbs, I work out 3-5 times a week.  I just do not know what else to do.  He wants to wait three more months before we make any decisions - but I really just feel awful and like a huge failure.  Has anyone successfully kept weigh off or down after a lap band total unfill?  I'm open to any suggestions ....   

annie0039
on 2/15/15 12:21 am

If your open to suggestions then get the band removed.

It may have helped lose initially but, with esophageal dilation it's not going to be "fixed" by removing saline. you may in fact end up with Further issues like Barrett's esophagus and then esophageal motility problems if they/you decide to refill the band.

It's understandable to want to continue with the band because you've lost weight, but at what risk?

Why not use this time to Research other WLS options? YOUR NOT ALONE, YOU DID NOT cause this problem it  IS a band complication. Regain is difficult to avoid since your metabolism is holding on to everything you consume due. Think about it , the band restricted your food intake and now you can eat whatever you want it's NORMAL to regain and your body still thinks it's in restriction mode so regardless of what your doing to help prevent regain your body won't allow weight loss at this point.

Good Luck!! Hoping you find answers!!

Tri_harder
on 5/12/15 10:05 am

Why does he want to wait 3 months?  I know nothing about lap bands.  It would be nice if he could tell you his plan.  My surgery failed.  I have a RNY that was too big...both pouch and stoma size.  I have tried everything and nothing works, but I keep trying different diets.  In the end they all fail, but if I didn't try I would weigh a lot more than I do.  My suggestion is to eat as little as you can and move as much as you can.  When I give up I gain quickly.  My guess is if you give up you will gain quickly too.  It is hard not to give up.  Do the best you can given your situation and accept that the lap band failed you...you didn't fail the lap ban.  Sometimes weight loss surgeries fail.  Any surgeon will tell you no surgery is perfect.  I hope you feel better.  take care, Tri

Britt U.
on 6/21/15 1:35 pm - Mill Creek, WA

I had the same thing happen and know exactly how you feel. I went on to convert to a vertical sleeve and have done great for five years. Honestly, my only regret is waiting too long to remove the band and convert while I fought with the insurance company. I never got fully to goal with the band but regained my weight while I waited. Got fully to goal with the sleeve and maintained well. Could have saved myself the months of unhappiness and the time spent getting back to band weight if I'd just gone ahead the month I'd learned the band failed. 

Hislady
on 8/14/15 9:01 pm - Vancouver, WA

The band has a 60% failure rate it is ridiculous for any doctor to still put them in except that they are money makers for the docs with the fills and unfills! I had mine removed a year ago and I would advise you to get yours out as soon as possible.

I have 30% loss of esophageal motility, which means I have trouble swallowing. I also developed gastoparesis (also very common with the band) which means a slow digestive system. This is so painful at times I just want to cry, I bounce back and forth between constipation and diahrea not to mention the pains from gas that haunt me day and night. I have to eat very small meals 4-6 times a day and chew to mush so it is easier for my stomach to digest it.

It is a horrible way to have to live and I will have them both for the rest of my life!!! Thank God I'm in my 60's or I think I'd jump off the nearest bridge! The band causes life long damage to our stomachs and they can't be fixed!! Get rid of it as soon as you can!!

Denice D.
on 8/30/15 9:20 am - Cedarville, AR

you are so right. I have found that if I eat the plain FAGE yogurt every morning I have less problems with the bowels and the gas.

Lifebeauty
on 6/14/16 4:25 pm

It has been years since I've posted.  I remember you from back in the day.  Unfortunately I still have my band, kept hoping it would revive once fluid was removed but no such a thang.  Don't know the cost of removal but think that is my next and best move.  I've regained weight loss and have started having chest pains and leg cramps.  Of course being in my 60's now it is much harder as I am less active.  I loved my band while it worked but that time has come and gone.  Do you mind sharing the cost of your removal and was it done outpatient?

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

Hislady
on 7/27/16 7:09 pm - Vancouver, WA

Mine was a different cir****tance than most because I was already in the hospital with heart issues so I didn't end up having to pay for the hospital itself. I did have to pay the surgeon which was $3500.00 and the anesthesiologist for $1500 but the anesthesiologist took payments and the surgeon let me put it on my Visa. If I had to pay the hospital bill too I would have had to put that on the Visa too or get a loan from someplace like Care Credit, those places have high interest but can be worth it to get the blasted band out before it causes even more damage that will cost even more than removal to fix.

I also didn't get a revision so I didn't have that extra cost which ended up being a good thing. Since removal of my band i have had so much trouble with my stomach and acid issues that I can barely eat and was losing so much weight because of it that my doc checked me for all kinds of cancer, but no cancer, I just can't eat without pain. So I'm at goal now and have to fight to keep the weight I have now.

Denice D.
on 8/30/15 9:09 am - Cedarville, AR

If you have not already had the band removed get it removed and convert to sleeve or bypass. The issues with the band itself can cause you not to lose weight.  I have mine removed last October, and yes I have gained some weight back, however I still exercise and really try to eat right and keep portions under control. I do hope that my body will have healed enough for me to get the sleeve done early 2016.  Please don't let doctors push you around or try to make it like it is your fault. IT IS NOT! most of us did the right things and still had tons of problems.  That facebook group someone had in their post is good. Lots of support and info. Good luck to you. Wishing you the very best

(deactivated member)
on 8/30/15 9:48 am

I had to have my lap band removed after it slipped in 2011. I was able to maintain the same weight for 3 years without restriction.  And after so long of not being able to eat without pain it was so nice to eat normal for a while. With the band out I could eat lots of dense proteins that I hadn't been able to eat for years.  Then last year I revised to a sleeve.  I had such horrible scaring and damage from the lap band that I had a lot of trouble in the beginning. But 13 months out, it was so worth getting the band. I will forever be on a PPI due to the scar from the band at the top of my stomach. But other than that it is so much better than the band was.  I have gotten below my goal weight ( I never got to goal with the band). 

And be careful even an empty band can do damage. Mine had eroded all the way to the interior of my stomach and when they removed it, it had no fluid in the port.  My advice if you want to hear it, get it out and revise to something else if you want to lose more. 

Most Active