I failed it...it didn't fail me...

mi75
on 2/11/17 2:53 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

3 years ago I had VSG and did really great. I had really been fighting a weight problem for most of my life, and had gotten to the point where I had so many health issues that surgery was necessary.

I have dealt with many changes since then, I changed jobs, changed career paths completely, changed geographic locations, changed houses, and had a devastating personal loss. I am seeing a new doctor (changed areas and jobs-changed insurances). New doc is good. New NUT is good. Since my lowest weight, I have gained about 25 lbs.

Doc/NUT gave me a plan to get back on track. I have not dealt with it until now. I'm ready to get back on track. Starting plan Sunday night with spouse on board too. I still have great restriction, but feel like I can eat pretty much everything. I have terrible GERD. I have high blood pressure.

I feel like the surgery did it's job, but I ignored a lot of things going on in my life and just turned back to food. So I'm seeing the PSYCH at my surgeon's office next week. Time to start dealing. So the surgery worked, I just stopped doing the work.

Well, back to work for me. It's time. I need to own this. I know I can lose the regain. Please wish me luck

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/17 4:29 pm
VSG on 10/11/16

Good luck!  You have all the tools, and you know what you need to do. Doing it is the hard part of course. The good news is, you only have to do it for one day at a time. Focus on getting to the end of the day successfully, and don't worry about tomorrow until tomorrow is today. Then do it for just one day again. That's how I am doing it  

Another bit of advice I can offer is to post in the main forums. This place isn't set up quite like that other place, and posts can languish for days or weeks before anyone sees them. They seem to be pretty laid back here about posting in the main forums even if it isn't exactly on topic. 

CC C.
on 2/15/17 12:10 pm

This is my biggest worry with getting this surgery - returning to bad habits and regaining. It's what I've done after losing 120, 100, and 170 pounds on my own.  I don't want to screw up again with this! Thank you for sharing your struggles and I wish you all the best!

shunt1960
on 4/3/17 5:36 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with

Your story sounds like many. Don't beat yourself up. I had VSG in 2010 and lost 120 lbs. Unfortunately in the last 3 years I managed to gain 100 back. I started on January 3rd going back to eating how I was supposed to and have since lost 57 lbs. I'm on my way back to the me I want to be. I eat 800-1000 calories, 80-100 grams of protein and keep my carbs under 50.

I was so angry at myself for spending the money to have the surgery (out of my pocket), and then let old eating habits back in. Unfortunately, many who fail, fail because of their actions not their tool.

Weightloss surgery is a tool only. You/Me have to get our heads and emotions in the same place. I will get my regain off and will NEVER be lax again. Healthy feels so much better.

cdnrobin
on 6/14/17 7:04 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/17/09 with

And you got back on track how?

shunt1960
on 6/15/17 3:33 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with

By getting carbs and sugars and diet soda out of my daily eating. I keep calories between 800-900 per day and carbs 30-35 and protein at least 100 grams. I have 2-3 shakes a day and 2 high protein/low carb meals. I also exercise 2-3 days a week and walk the others. i have now lost 87 lbs. I'm so close to where I want to be and I feel so much better. This time I'm going to get the hangy skin fixed. Going for a consultation to get my arms done hopefully in November.

Annie B.
on 10/9/17 11:54 am - Dalzell, SC
RNY on 02/27/08 with

This has inspired me. I am going to attempt to do this. I NEED to do this. I had surgery when I was about 320 pounds (Feb 2008). I got down to 145 (April 2009)...and now I am up to 275...getting way too close to my high weight and feeling horrible about myself. I am taking your numbers and I am going to start this. I have to do this. I know it will be hard, but I am determined to get this right.

shunt1960
on 10/10/17 3:58 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with

You can do it. I've now lost 115 lbs and am at my all time low since probably junior high. Though I must admit I've been on a binge the last 2 days. I'm having brachioplasty done next week and had to quit smoking so trying to get that under control again. Back on the wagon today. I still want to lose another 10 lbs.

SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

TheRealMeWithin
on 5/25/17 10:18 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

Sounds like you have been through A LOT!

I just have to say - GOOD FOR YOU for getting back on track at a 25lb gain!!! I've heard stories of people who gain it all back.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

Rejoyce
on 6/25/17 6:42 am - Dayton, OH

Good for you! I also failed my surgery. There were many reasons, but I should never had the surgery in the midst of just having lost both parents and in a failing marriage. But, the biggest reason I failed is I had undiagnosed Binge Eating Disorder. Since the surgery I had the Apollo Revision to tighten the stoma, which was much too large. However I really started to succeed once I was diagnosed with BED and started medication. I have slowly lost 19 pounds and am following the eating plan that we are supposed to follow. I believe I can now be successful and still have the benefit of the surgery! Best wishes to you on this journey!

Joyce
Life is just a stage I'm going through...
HW:253  SW: 230  CW: 170  GW: 140

Most Active