Pain Left Side of Rib Cage

Braven05
on 10/26/17 12:20 pm - Syracuse, NY

Hello,

I had band surgery in April of 2008, so it's been 9 years. My band has been completely empty for about 5 years due to extreme acid reflux (shooting up into my throat at night and choking me) regardless of my fill level.

About a year and a half ago I started experience pain in my left shoulder when I over eat. No stomach pain, just shoulder pain. I figured it was band related but can't really do anything about it because I don't have comprehensive insurance any more.

Then, about a year ago I started experiencing pretty bad pain right under the left side of my rib cage when I over eat (or sometimes if I'm hungry and haven't eaten anything in a while). It's rather uncomfortable and can last for hours.

No other issues and I wasn't sure if this was band related or related to a medicine I had started taking about that time.

I only just went off the medicine for about a 2 week period and still experienced this pain, so I'm chalking it up to the band. All I can think to call it is referred pain....does anyone else experience this?

I wish I had better insurance so I could get this thing out of me and convert to a sleeve.

342/325/237/150
Consult/Surgery/Current/Goal
4 fills/2 unfills - 4 cc in my 10 cc band
1stlady
on 11/30/17 5:44 am - VA

Hey there I remember you I had surgery June 2008. I started to have problems with my band as well as I have gained all my weight back and then some I am in the process now of doing my 6 month supervised diet for insurance purposes and converting to the sleeve.

Braven05
on 12/6/17 9:51 am - Syracuse, NY

Man I wish I could convert. I have awful insurance coverage now. I miss those days when everything was covered. The band has been useless to me for about 5 years, although maybe I would weigh more if I didn't have it there at all.

This should/rib pain is so obnoxious though. It happens when I overeat or when I'm hungry and sometimes I haven't even eaten all that much but I can't eat again until it goes away. Some days I spend the entire day with this pain. It's frustrating.

342/325/237/150
Consult/Surgery/Current/Goal
4 fills/2 unfills - 4 cc in my 10 cc band
tananarose
on 1/7/18 12:13 pm - North Pole, AK

With any pain check with the Dr, it is better to check and it be nothing.

In August I ended up with pain on the left side in my ribs and shoulder whenever I ate, it felt like someone was twisting a knife in there, after about 2 weeks it started as a constant, whenever I was laying down, moving, eating, if I sat still I could get it to a dull ache. In October I finally had an UGi, and my band had slipped slightly, so talked with the Dr and I just had my band removed Dec 30, what was shocking was that when the Dr went to remove the band is that the tubing and part of the band had embedded into my liver. *As a note, the UGI did not show that it had embedded in my liver. Also I had already been talking with my Dr for a band removal and revision.

Peggy B.
on 2/9/18 4:49 pm - Westlake, LA

I am so sorry you are going through this! Praying you have found a way to see your doctor.

Peggy B.

/ 245.5 / 160 / Goal 150
www.peggyborel.com

Most Active