Has anyone had a stricture in RNY surgery?

donner203
on 2/18/10 11:45 pm

I'm new to the site, I haven't posted a pic yet, sorry.  I'm post-op 7 weeks.   Hang in there, I'm struggling too!  Going for my second endoscopy this week.  The first dilation only lasted a week.  I don't know why the surgeons wait to put the stents in, its too exhausting and too much time away from work every time you have to have this procedure done.  

Let me know how you make out!  Right now I'm just drinking my protein shakes until next Wednesday.  

tinyshad
on 3/26/10 4:07 am - Rainier, WA
I had RNY surgery 8-19-09.  I couldnt keep anything down and would throw up almost daily.  On 12-14-09 I had an endosocpy to see if I had a stricture, while down there they found I had one and fixed it.  Since then I have only thrown up 3 times, all from over eating.  I am down 102lbs and am feeling great...The procedure was a breeze, it fixed the problem and hopefully that is the end of my RNY problems...Life is great...hope your daughter has as good as outcome and I did...Charmayne

Charmayne

SplittinAdam
on 11/1/11 2:04 am
My wife had R-n-Y surgery a year ago August.  She has lost over 184 lbs, and is still losing, and it's getting to an unhealthy point.  The problem is, she throws up every meal... she had spoken to her surgeon and dietician about this, and they've only told her to follow the diet plan, and it will get better... after reading up on strictures though, I think that may be her problem.  I've asked her to contact her surgeon to discuss this again - from what I see, NOBODY is throwing up more than 12 months post-op.

To us, this whole ordeal has felt like it's glorified bulemia - she is actively trying to gain weight - drinking Ensure, eating sweets, (when she can keep them down,) and nothing is working here.  Her sex drive is shot, (pretty sure it's being caused by malnutrition,) but when her normal doctor tests her levels, everything is fine!  (Except B-12, she gets injections of that.) 

I don't understand, and starting to get desperate.  If her surgeon won't scope her, is it time to find someone new?  Does this sound like a stricture to anyone?  Even more troublesome - if it is a stricture, can it be fixed after this long?
dazysun
on 12/15/12 5:09 am

My R-n-Y will be 3 years in April.  I am scheduled the 19 th to be scoped for stricture for the third time. Last August I had a stricture.

It does happen more than 12 months out. She needs to talk with her surgeon. My husband went in to see my surgeon with me.

It didn't matter what I ate, after 2-3 bites I would have to excuse myself from the table. Once they dilated me I was back on track.

I have lost 130 pounds and stabilized.  I would definitely talk to her surgeon. 

Mary F.
on 7/15/10 9:03 am - Shawnee, OK
ok You said the procedure was a breeze. Do you have to be hospitalized? Do the put you to sleep or are you awake. What exactly does it entail?
Most Active