I am seeking help/support for my mother. She is 59 years old, 6 foot tall and I am unaware of her weight. 400 lbs.? The reason I am writing this is because after years of medical issues, my sister and I have decided to hold an intervention to provide support and immediate treatment options to her. If she refuses, we are prepared to cut ties with her. This may sound very insensitive and ungrateful, but we cannot continue on enabling her illnesses. I feel as we need to treat her illness/issues as an addiction. Maybe this is incorrect, please feel free to set me straight. I love my mother dearly and want her around for many, many more years.
A little background:
· Grew up with the mindset of “always finishing your plate, no wasting food” – this led to overeating
· Home life was very negative and pessimistic, eating was an escape
· Her mother and two sisters are both overweight and have diabetes
· Has severe knee issues, needs surgery
· Has broken her Achilles tendon
· Is on several anti-depression medications and pain medications
· She now has kidney failure and will eventually have to go on dialysis
Basically, my mother’s quality of life is horrible. I no longer see the woman I once respected and adored. I know she is still in there though. Please reply with any information you think would be helpful. Treatment centers, dieticians, etc.
Thank you so much, please feel free to ask any additional questions.