daughter is not for me having wls

outlawmaiden
on 5/22/11 5:59 am - KY
Does anyone have any ideas that would help me to help my daughter feel more confortable with me having wls? she is 14 years old and we are close but she said she is against it.  would apprieciate any helpful ideas. i plan to have it no matter what but i would like her to be more on board with it. thanks
UnlovableLump
on 5/25/11 9:48 am
She is probably not going to be at ease with it no matter what. Your daughter is probably worried that you could die during surgery, and since that is a possibility, you can't really ease her mind of that worry. I'm convinced that it is best to lose weight through diet and exercise, but for something that seems so simple it's one of the most difficult things I've ever attempted. Once you get to a certain size, it just feels so hopeless.
no_more_rolls
on 8/3/11 12:19 pm - Jackson, MI
I know it's been months since this was posted, but I could not let your only reply be negative.

Yes, there are risks having any WLS but imo the risks associated with being obese are greater than WLS.  I fought off and on for years before I was able to get WLS.  I fought friends, my family, and the insurance companies.  I'm about a month post-op now and even with the struggles I've had I would not change my decision.  I've lost 82 pounds through my pre-op diet and surgery already!  I've never lost weight this easily in my life.  I look forward to living life again and not being just a spectator of it.  I even breathe easier!  I took my measurements today and I've lost 5 inches off my waist, hips, and chest and 2 inches around my neck!  I'm already seeing a healthier me.  It can happen to you too!

Explain to your daughter how much you love her and want the best for her and want her to be healthy and happy.  Then ask her if she wants the same for you.  Explain you have done research on your decision.  Explain the risks you have if you remain obese and list any health issues you may have currently that can be related to obesity.  She will come around in time...she is already 14 so she is going through normal "teen" struggles too.  You may also want to ask her why she is so opposed to the idea and discuss her reasons...the more you know about your WLS choice the better prepared you will be.

I had issues with my mother-in-law (mainly her) and a few friends.  When they realized I was well informed and was serious about my decision they came around (a little).  My mother-in-law actually recently complained she thinks I am losing weight too quick now!  LOL  At first she said WLS don't work and you don't lose weight...guess I'm proving that thought wrong!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

mrspansy
on 9/15/11 6:43 am - Montgomery Village, MD
Perhaps your daughter is simply afraid of the surgery and what might happen if something goes wrong. My parents were VERY against the idea of me having RNY but I just tried to be reassuring and shared my research with them, and in the end they became my biggest supporters. Now that I am so close to goal and they see how healthy and happy I am, they "forget" they ever were against the idea of surgery. I hope everything goes well for you and your daughter as you start this exciting new chapter in your life!

Most Active