Help from the other side?

bdocker
on 11/17/11 3:53 am
I am begining the process for undergoing wls. I've asked my spouse to come on here and see what it's all about and he's responded that he's too busy.

I'm about to start therapy to help me with the "reasons" why I over eat so that once I have surgery *my tool* that I can be successful at it.

I've really been studying the whole picture and once therapy starts I want to address it there too - but for now would love your opinions: what is it like to support someone going through wls?

I worry about changing and becoming a new person -w hich is silly because that's actually the GOAL - but my worry stems more from the thought of growing apart from my beloved spouse. I adore him more than anything and while I am doing this for me - I am doing it for my family so I can be with them and enjoy them more.

Can you provide any tips or insights so I can be sensitive to what he'll experience by watching me go through this process?

(deactivated member)
on 12/21/11 9:59 am
 It's really a very narcissistic process.  There is so much you will have to change as your surgery slowly moves towards a forever lifestyle.  My wife was excited and terrified and it became the number one topic of conversation  I wanted to know as much as possible, especially once I learned how many marriages tanked after weight loss.  All of the talk of vitamins and protein and foods acceptable and not kind of boggles the mind.  My advice is set aside certain periods of time where you do not talk about WLS, diets, food or exercise!

The way I dealt with it was to learn along side her and try to be helpful.  I was very happy she was trying to take steps to deal directly with something that bothered her.  It was going to mean changes in the way we both ate and lived.

Most Active