Mood changes after surgery

tangoshubby
on 12/19/11 8:50 am - Canada
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here who has had the gastric bypass has mood changes?   before my wife had the surgery we never argued and a girl we knew had the surgery and warned us that there would be mood changes.  and just to expect it.  I would say after 6 months it started.   We can be getting along awesome and bang she is in a bad mood.  it can be something like she cant find a shirt she wants to wear or forgot to do something.  or if I ask her a question (a simple question)  and she gets mad.   Or if I start to talk she sighs or rolls her eyes. this never happend before surgery.   Has anyone who thats reading this thats had the surgery or a spouse thats dealing with this aslo?   I need help with this.,  because I'm lost and do not know what to expect.  I hope it gets better.
morgans
on 8/7/12 4:35 am
VSG on 06/18/12
No responses to this? 

I hope things are better for you and your wife. There are hormonal changes that happen with bypass surgery. Your wife might want to work with a therapist to help identify when issues are hormonal or she's having other issues around her WLS. We go through a lot of changes - physically, physiologically, and psychologically.

So it is "normal", but that doesn't mean they can't be addressed.

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/14 7:58 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

Everyone is different but I asked my husband if my mood has changed. He said Yes but in a really good way. I no longer hesitate on going out with friends because I was to fat, I no longer cry when something doesn't look good on me, I no longer complain about my ankles or calfs hurting because I can't keep up and walk around in the grocery store. My mood has changed but for the better. Sometimes I get upset because I do more things than he does so I'm doing everything whereas before he helped me alot.  

I think if people's moods change for the worse there is something wrong psychologically. Maybe they still view themselves as being fat, etc. I'd recommend they go see a psychologist. 

Most Active