Lyrica anyone?

Kenna C.
on 3/25/09 2:11 am - Demopolis, AL
My doctor prescribed Lyrica yesterday for migraines and my fibromalgia .  I am concerned about the weight gain as a side effect considering I am already really struggling.  Anybody doing ok with it ? 

New year...New  begining..............

LynW
on 3/25/09 3:03 am - Central IA, IA

I tried it and had no luck with it.  It made me really dizzy and my pain was worse than when I wasn't taking it.  I didn't take it long enough to notice any wt gain.  I tried it for about 3 weeks.  Now I'm taking Cymbalta and I love it. 

I hope that Lyrica works for you.

BIRDYLADY
on 3/25/09 6:45 am - GA
I tried lyrica and had absolutly NO LUCK what so ever with it...........
I take Opana ER, Opana instant and darvocet or percocet depending on the month....
Kimberly"be nice to me or I will sic my ninja monkeys on you"

Hislady
on 3/25/09 3:03 pm - Vancouver, WA
I tried the lyrica too and immediately gained 8 lbs in a week so told my doc forget it, I can do that without help. I'm using cymbalta now myself and it has truely been miraculous, 95% of my pain is gone and it happened the first day I took it. According to my pharmacist if it's going to work it'll work right away, if it doesn't improve right away it probably won't do anything. Some folks get amazing results and others nothing so you just have to give it a try to see if it'll work.
LadyHawke77
on 3/26/09 4:38 pm - NY
Hi,

I've been on Lyrica for over 3 years.  It''s PHENOMENAL for Fibromialgia.  However, there is a weight gain.  I gained almost 65 lbs in 3 years. Lyrica (and couple of other meds) is the reason I now need the bariatric surgery. I went from 180 to 250.  Even with my height of 5.5, it's a lot. My dose is 300 mg daily.

So... proceed with caution.

Good luck!

Shannon T.
on 3/27/09 5:55 am - keithville, LA
I have been on lyrica for the past 2 months I am not noticing much of any difference with the pain or weight gain.  Have also tried cymbalta in the past with even less result.
Mrylln
on 3/28/09 2:19 am - Highlands, NJ
I've been on Lyrica for neuropathy (and maybe I really do have fibromyalgia as well---but the subject never came up) and it's a lifesaver. When the slightest breeze would hit my shoulders, I would collapse in pain and tears. It happened one evening when I was out with my sister, and my, she was indeed impressed.

Anyway, the Lyrica has worked wonders for me, and I know it is the med responsible for the control, because if I miss it, I'm vulnerable, but if I keep up with the doses, I don't have symptoms.

I don't know if it caused weight gain, though it may have, but I was gaining steadily when I started on it pre WLS, so it could have been anything, including my appetite.

I had the surgery in July and have lost over 100 pounds, and yes, some months the loss seems very slow, but everything is just so much better already that I'm not fretting about it. I need the Lyrica and would not give it up now that I have my pouch to help me behave.

Good luck.
palang
on 3/28/09 12:02 pm - IL
Lyrica can cause weight gain, be very carefull.  I was on it and started to gain weight rapidly.  It works wonderfull but I worked to hard to lose this weight... Catch 22.... I take Cymbalta,Vicdoen and Ambien to sleep...  I Have burning and throbbing in one leg...I am hoping with more and mmore research, they will find a cure,Good luck

Tricia  280/189/150  3.75cc in my 4cc band  band to sleeve TBD..

aimeebeth
on 3/29/09 8:55 pm - Big Lake, MN
I have been taking it for 3 months, slowly upping the dosage, and I did gain 10 pounds right away but now I"ve lost it all without trying.... I guess it's a trade off worth doing for me, pain free with a little bit of weight gain, you still need to use your tool and be conscious, if it makes you hungry,watch what your putting in your mouth...
kootenay
on 4/4/09 10:17 am - Canada
Lyrica has been a lifesaver for me.  Tried Cymbalta and several other meds.  I was worried about gaining weight as most meds cause me to gain.  I've not gained though ~ I've always lost slowly.

Still losing weight now at almost three years out.

The worst side affect for me was terrible depression for the first six weeks.  After that - my life is so much better because of Lyrica.

Kootenay
225/117

Ask me how I got rid of my keloid scar!

Most Active
Recent Topics