Thinking about getting pregnant and I need advice

Kleese
on 4/28/15 4:11 am

I have a host of issues one being that I have Fibro. I am 36 and have always thought that I wouldn't have kids. But at the age I am and the condition I am in I still can't shake the fact that I really and truly would love to have a baby. Has anyone gone through this and do you have any advice. I want to do the right thing. My husband says that he doesn't want me in anymore pain and so he's willing not to have kids because he loves me. I just have this incredible need that I can't get rid of. Thank you for your help 

Hislady
on 4/28/15 1:40 pm - Vancouver, WA

I've had fibro since I was a teen altho back then nobody had a name for it, they just told us it was all in our heads back then! I had a child in my late 20's and I don't remember having any more pain than I normally did. When they are little of course there is alot of having to pick them up so that could cause pain if you are super sensitive now. It's hard to tell just how bad your is. I worked most of the time I was pregnant and don't remember any significant pain increase. I guest would depend on how willing your hubby would be to help with the little one. Whss alat

I can say with no doubt what so ever is I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything in the world it was a wonderful experience I really enjoyed it.

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! It was worth any pain I had!! My fibro is something I just live with, I do have to take narcotic pain meds for it but I wasn't taking anything when my daughter was little. They do require and demand alot of attention when they are small and you have to be there to take care of them day and night. They are hard work but worth every second of it! Your time is running out so if you want one you need to get busy!

Kleese
on 4/28/15 11:59 pm

Thank you for your reply. My time is indeed running short. Just kind of gave up on the dream but I will live with deep regret if I don't. Looking at the end of my youth I know I need to do it now. I am just really scared of getting off my medicines. I fear the extreme pain that I had before the medicines. We all deal with daily pain we have even with the medicines. My plan is to lose weight and get healthier and get with my doctors before getting pregnant.

Your going to think me crazy when I tell you I have three dogs and my husband works on a boat and is only home for two weeks every 28 days. He's trying to becoming a Captain on a tug boat and this requires him to learn the river and the Gulf before he can have his on boat. It won't be forever but the first two years will be mostly on me. But there has never been a good time. When I was in my twenties I was building my career and then my world changed at 27. Guess I've made up my mind about the situation but I am really nervous. Especially nervous to go to the doctors and tell them about our plan.

Kleese
on 4/29/15 12:01 am

I don't want them to tell me I shouldn't. I think it would devastate me. You know how doctors are. They can be very harsh. 

Hislady
on 4/29/15 1:46 pm - Vancouver, WA

I've been very fortunate and not had any really nasty docs but if one told me I shouldn't I would find a new doc that is easier to work with. I don't know what type of meds you are on but possibly you could still take some of them. I would say find yourself a good female OB-GYN to help you during your pregnancy as a woman would probably be more understanding of that desire for a baby before it is too late.

I think that sounds like a great marriage, I always thought being married to a long haul trucker would be great because I was very independent and that way I would still be on my own but have a guy pop in every now and then! lol I was a single mom for the first 8 yrs so I can tell you raising a little one with little or no help is really tiring but I also had to work. If your husband makes enough to support you with out you having to work that would take a lot of the stress off! It was just very difficult having to work and be a mom! Like I said before tho I'm so glad I did have my daughter, she hasn't always been a delight but she has been worth everything I went thru. Babies take a lot of patience and love but they are so worth it when they look at you with those big eyes and smile or grab your finger. Then you absolutely melt! So if your hubby is on board with the idea too I'd say go ahead and see what happens. I wish you all the best!!

tatirod
on 7/19/15 6:01 pm - Toronto, Canada

I can't speak to fibromyalgia. But if you have weight loss surgery, most centres will recommend you don't get pregnant for 18-24 months after. This is to prevent a grossly malnourished baby. I just wanted to mention. I'm the same age and hoping I can still have a baby after this is all over.

Referral: February 2015; TWH Orientation: April 2015; Social Worker: June 10, 2015: Nurse Practitioner: June 11, 2015; Nutrition Class: June 15, 2015; Psychometry Assessment: June 16, 2015; Nutrition Assessment: July 22, 2015; NP follow-up: July 28, 2015; Surgeon Consult: August 28, 2015; Surgery: November 6, 2015; Operation: VSG

Chickenboob
on 10/22/15 6:41 am - Rockland, Canada

I have Fibro and I got pregnant about 9 months post op. Ironically, no one would let me have any form of birth control and we had a defective batch of condoms...TMI I know...sorry. We had combined infertility before WLS, so it was a bit of a shock.

She came out fine. We were very lucky. But it caused problems with the weight loss. it stalled and I began to regain.

As for fibro, my experience was that the pregnancy was a golden period with very little pain other than the usual pregnancy gripes.

Good luck!

RNY 2011/07/26 HW 338; SW 301; LW 199; Starting over weight 255; CW 212; GOAL #1 lose regain back to 199 lbs!

AggieMae
on 2/1/17 1:12 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I have RA and a "mixed autoimmune disorder"  and experience a total remission with my pregnancies.  The first few months post partum where difficult. I spent lots of time in bed with my babies and remember it as a great experience.

Most Active
Recent Topics