Pain, What are you taking Rx?

Shalee360
on 9/30/16 12:34 pm
VSG on 10/05/16

What are you taking post-op for pain? I was on Celebrex for years, but I cant take that due to the peptic ulcers it causes. The only thing that helps is our hot tub and we sold our hoe, so that's no longer! Turmeric (liquid) doesnt work either. Point me to a thread if there is one here already! Thank you all!

andrealynn1998
on 10/1/16 9:48 pm
VSG on 09/15/15

I take Gabapentin. Because of my surgery, I can not take any NSAID drugs. The Gabapentin helps. I  also take Tramadol. I  miss not being able to take any other meds. Hope this helps. 

Shalee360
on 10/1/16 10:47 pm
VSG on 10/05/16

Ive tried Lyrica but not gabapentin, my husband has and it made him agitated. Thank you!

Hislady
on 11/21/16 6:11 pm - Vancouver, WA

I take Cymbalta and gabapentin for my fibro but I also wear a fentanyl patch for really bad arthritis pain so I get coverage from that and oxycodone for my arthritis. I still have achy muscles a lot of the time but most of the other issues are better. My fibro fog isn't so bad and my nerves are calmer. It sure would be nice if they came up with a treatment that could take care of it all and not be a narcotic!

AggieMae
on 2/1/17 1:03 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I have a complicated mix autoimmune disorder and had kidney failure 10 years ago caused by NSAIDS and was on narcotic pain medication for most of ten years. I have had five joint replacements in the past 5 years and WLS on 10/25/16.

My chronic inflation resolved within days of my WLS, I suspect it's the high protein diet. 

I take 2,000 turmeric and l-lysine for inflammation. I first started these 11/2/16 on the advice of an acupuncture clinic I went to for Bell's palsy which resolved in less than 14 days. I lso walk at least 2miles every day. It helps.

I was on 20 mg of long acting oxycodone and between 16-20 mg of dilaudid a day on 10/25. Today I have weaning down to just 1mg twice a day. 

As for turmeric. I started on 1,000 mg a day and increased over a week. I now take two (1000) mg tablets twice a day along with lysine. I know that went I ran out and skipped 2 days my stiffness and nagging pain returned.

Rushgirl2112
on 2/20/17 10:20 pm
VSG on 10/19/16

I have had fibro for many years, but only diagnosed since 2012. I also have osteoarthritis and inflammatory arthritis. Some days my pain is so great that it feels like an internal sunburn with stretchy pain. I've been to numerous rheumatologists who swear up and down its not RA or Lupus. I've been to neurosurgeons, spine doctors, orthopedic doctors, the gabapentine, Lyrica, and Cymbalta and had terrible side effects from them all. I have also been on nortryptline for a while but doesnt do much. The only time I have relief is when I have received pain medicine for the 3 surgeries I have had in the past 8 months. Percoset helps but gives bad constipation.  Hydrocodone is helpful on bad days when I had it. Now the are referring me to pain mgmt which sent me for MRIS on cervical and lumbar spine. They will not prescribe me anything but tramadol which does nothing for me. If they cant help then they will send me to Coastal pain I guess more hoops to go through. I'm at my wits end here. Just because you cant physically see it on film doesnt mean it's not there. They can feel the points where the heat and burning are happening. This is making the quality of my life continue to tumble down. We are moving and I have an 8 yr old to take care of. How can I do my jobs when this happens? I don't understand people getting meds around me with patches plus pills..plus implants for pain...and I get nothing. Why? 

paulaktn47
on 6/25/17 4:32 pm
VSG on 12/15/15

The key is to request all of your medical records from everyone and anyone you have seen about your condition and have it all sent to your current pain mgmt Dr. They won't make you jump thru as many hoops so long as you already have most of your case documented. You'll still have to go thru the standard mri's etc to show your current status but, make sure you have all your files from the doctor who officially diagnosed your fibro back in 2012. Are you able to tolerate trigger point injections? Do you have a tens unit you can use when your pain is really bad? Nowadays more and more people are being referred to see pain management clinics due to the widespread opioid abuse. I am NOT in any way saying that you yourself abuse pain meds but I'm saying that this is pretty much the standard protocol even if you have "visible pain"!

prissy25
on 8/22/18 9:47 am - Barboursville, VA

I have the same problems and cant get help either I feel your pain as u sound as bad as me.

VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

Most Active
Recent Topics