On the Go eating

Snacky_Cakes
on 4/5/06 5:39 pm - Hobart, IN
Hi..I've been an EMT for 4 years..2 vol...and 2 with a hospital...I know how stressful...the job can be most of the time....and we eat when we can..or on the go...trying to wolf..down your food in a matter of mins...I haven't had WLS yet..but I was wondering if any of you out there..that have had it...how do you deal with eating...while at work?
paramedic
on 4/6/06 6:03 pm - Coldbrook, Canada
Hi Sarah, I know what you are saying. Eating food so fast you don't even know what you ate. Most of the time you eat the worst stuff but it is usually the only thing availble. I am having the lap-band in May. What I have read thus far this is the eaiest surgery to recop from. There is no bowel resection neither. The band, once you have healed you can eat a more range of food. But you can't eat as much. I have been a medic for 13 years as a EMP or what we call ACP for 2 years. Love my job. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada on the Atlantic side of the coast. Keep in touch Bye for now Laurie
evanorden
on 4/12/06 6:30 am - Suffern, NY
I have been a medic for 16 years and I am one year post gastric bypass. You can do it but it takes some planning. Every night I pack my food for the next day. I bring a cooler with my water and what ever I am going to eat for lunch. In the beginning you should bring because you really want to monitor your portions. When you get good at eye balling the size you can start eating out. I drink my protein shakes as I need to and I have found great protein puddings and shakes for the protein shakes. I even got a shaker that I oput my milk in and under the cup is a spot to put the protein powder to mix in it. Shakes like necter can be made with water and taste really good too. You have to commit to making this work and in return it will trust me. I even got to the point that my partner will bust me if he thinks I am not drinking enough water or eating right. THere are days he says he is jelous because I bring my lunch and I get to eat when we are busy and he can not. Good luck and feel free to email me if you have questions. Eileen 255/152/?
firemires
on 5/18/06 5:05 am - apex, NC
hey there i am a firefighter/emt so i know how you feel. if you can...get your whole shift in on your weight issue. my crew was very supportive of me and we ate healthy weather on the go or at the station. keep a healthy snack that wont go bad in one of those 100 pockets youhave on your ems pants hehehe. eat slow....a carrot here and there...ya know ...something to get you through until you can sit down and eat something else. drink lots of water, stay away from soda and tea and sports drinks. and good luck! ....i havent had the surgery yet either but am well on my way ...keep in touch and we can do it together? good luck krystle
dehh_68
on 5/10/10 11:13 pm
This is such a huge problem for people in our field.  I'm a veteran post-op and been in EMS for 4 years.  I've done pretty well, foodwise, due to several things.  The first is planning!  I work 24-hour shifts on a 911 ambulance so planning is essential! 1)  I have a tote bag  dedicated for hauling my must-haves each and every shift; nuts, scoops of protein powder, several protein bars, instant drink pkts, Splenda, creamer, refillable water bottle, etc. 2)  In my car, I keep bottled water.  I transfer a few to the freezer and then put those in the ambulance to have on hand. 3) I plan meals/snacks.  It's not always practical to plan 3 meals and snacks (becuase we all know we'll not get the chance to sit down and dine as planned), so I do plan for two meals and depend upon my tote bag for snacks.  Yogurt travels well and I put some sugar-free jam in a little rubbermaid container to add.  Makes for a good quick and healthy breakfast (been kooked on Dannon's Greek - plain yogurt). 4) My lastest fix for this meal problem....the good ol' Crock Pot!  I can throw soup, meat, bean, whatever into the crock in the morning and by early evening dinner is done.  My partner and I are ensured a decent meal when WE are ready. 

Key to this issue.....PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Ok Looking for medic friends
Medicfem · 1 replies · 290 views
Where is everyone?
StillTammy · 0 replies · 450 views
krystle ????
armywife1469 · 0 replies · 388 views
Firemen's Week in OC, Maryland
KBS-TIA · 0 replies · 757 views