Protein and Weight Loss.

MikeL
on 7/3/06 3:55 am - Harrison, NY
I think on the day you work out if you drink something called Isopure sold in the bottle - 160 calories and 40 grams protein, it works wonders for Muscle & weight loss. Protein is know to help you break Plateaus and lose more weight while working out. Try it, it always helps me with Plateaus.
Donnamarie
on 7/4/06 7:35 am - NY
Mike, Would you suggest that for everyone, or just WLS patients? My PCP has told me that I only need to keep protein between 40-60 grams a day. Is there a detriment to taking in more protein than is needed? My weight loss is fine, but I have slowed way down. I want to lose about 20 more pounds, but I haven't had WLS so I don't want to put things into my body that it truly doesn't need. Thanks for any information you have. Donna
JeremyGentles
on 7/7/06 7:36 am - Johnson City, TN
Donna, The recommendations of 40-60 grams a day are common for WLS patients and the general public. For a normal weight individual the recommended protein intake per day is 0.8 grams per kilogram of bodyweight. That means for an individual who weighs 150 pounds will require roughly 55 grams of protein a day to maintain muscle mass and various other metabolic functions. These recommendation have been set forth by the Amercian Dietetics Association. To figure your weight in kilograms you just need divide your bodyweight in pound by 2.2. So for the aformentioned individual I was able to figure their weight in kilograms by doing the following: 150/2.2 = 68 kg 68kg x 0.8 = 55 This equation is obviously not apllicable to newly post op or pre op individuals. An individual who weighs three hundred pounds does not need 109 grams of protein a day to maitain muscle tissue. The point is that the suggested protein consumption for you as a WLS patient is realy no different than the average individual; it is only more difficult for you to consume that much food. On the other hand, those who are more physcially active need more protein than their sedentary counterparts. Active indivudals may require anywhere from 1.2-2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. For you it would be pertinent to use your goals weight to figure your protein requirements. It looks like you have made tremendous progress and a testament to everyone that it is possible without surgery. As far as weight loss and consuming more protein....There is no evidence that increasing protein conusmption itself will in turn increase weight loss. Well, unless you are not consuming adequate protein to begin with. Weight loss has more to do with calories in/calories out instead of protein consumption. There are some things that I could discuss with you about why some individuals think that increaing protein also increase weight loss but these are not relevant to your situation. If you would however like me to explain these things to you, email me your phone number and I will call and discuss this with you. Thanks [email protected] Jeremy Gentles, CSCS ObesityHelp Professional
sallyj
on 7/11/06 2:32 am - Spokane, WA
Dear Jeremy, Thank you for this good explanation. So how do we figure out what our protein needs are (post-op) as we loose weight? Do we do the calculations with our ideal weight or our doctor's goal weight? And can you give examples of how much activity is necessary to move the need from the general .8 to 1.2 or 2.0? Thanks, Sally
JeremyGentles
on 7/18/06 1:06 am - Johnson City, TN
Let me first say congrats on all your success. It sounds like you are doing wonderful from the things you have mentioned on your profile. I have said it many times on these message boards and will continue to, but everytime I hear or read a story like yours, it is extremely motivational. Thank you for what you bring to the OH community. OK, Individuals involved in regular long distance cardiovascular training need 1.2 grams of protein per kg of body weight while those involved in regular intense resistance training can benefit from 2 grams of protein per kg of body weight. Individuals who casually walk or do a little resistance training for general physical activity purposes would not really need to increase protein intake. The numbers I have quoted are for people who are very physically active and may lose muscle mass do to the amount of physical activity they do. Most of the general public does not have this problem. My suggestion for you would be to simply make sure you are getting at least 60 grams of protein a day. From your profile you don't seem to be having a problem with protein intake and it also seems that you stay active and enjoy exercising. I would not suggest that you need to calcuate your protein needs. Shoot for at least 60 grams and if you go over a little that is fine too. But, to answer your question about what body weight to use, I would suggest to use your ideal weight to determine protein needs someday. Why I say someday is becasue at this point in your journey it is not really important and although it is great for you to learn this stuff, it is not necessary for you to adopt these ideas yet. You will read in magazines and various other media about the muscle building properties of protein; oh if it were only that easy. There are so many other factors to consider, like carbohydrate intake, total caloric intake, rest, and so no and so on. All of these impact the amount of muscle tissue you gain and lose. Hope this is helpful and since this is an issue you seem to be interested in, I would love it if you would call me and allow me to answer any questions you have. Sometimes it is easier to answer questions like these in conversation versus text messages. My number: 1-800-957-4636 ext. 357 Jeremy Gentles, CSCS ObesityHelp Professional
sallyj
on 7/21/06 1:37 am - Spokane, WA
Dear Jeremy, Thank you for the information. While my surgeon's program has a nutritionist and a physical therapist, I haven't been all that impressed with what they have to offer. I suspect it is in part due to the way people are trained--there doesn't seem to be specializations in bariatric nutrition or physical therapy. So it seems to really take initative on the part of the professional to move beyond the standard stuff. I might just take you up on the phone call offer to ask about my exercise program. Again, most personal trainers aren't prepared to deal with larger people. I have taken to swimming laps (very slow and not that gracefully!) as it is an exercise that doesn't hurt and doesn't make me sweat. But I know I need to also do some strength building, but I really don't like that as much and don't feel confident that I am using the right form to be getting the most out of it. Thanks again, Sally
JeremyGentles
on 7/21/06 1:49 am - Johnson City, TN
Please do call, I would be more than happy to speak with you.
Most Active