Habitual Exercise/Activity.....

Dx E
on 8/10/06 2:44 am - Northern, MS

Great New Forum! Hope to see it continue to grow! Good Stuff Jeremy! Keep it Up! Sorry to just Copy/Paste An old post of mine from the Men’s Board, But Hope Some here will find it useful too- It certainly saves on typing! -------------------------------------------------------------------- Habitual Exercise/Activity….. For any of you Who have read my crap on other OH (AMOS) Forums in the past, You know that I’m a big advocate Of "Sneaking" healthy food into Your normal routine until it takes over bit by bit. The same is true with Exercise. Yes, I do set aside time each day now To get in my walking And 3 days a weeks now for "working out." (Ran my First 5K on July 4th!) BUT the cumulative effect Of little bits of added exercise Are also just as important. As for "Sneaking in" a little Exercise into your Daily Life? Here are some of the things that I did that I still keep as part of my daily routine of little things That add – Calorie burning, Muscle stretching, Stress relieving Activity to my life without getting in my way. I’m always on the lookout for more So if you’ve got some, Add them on here…. A starter list of "activating" strategies: At Work, Don't use the nearest bathroom. I only use the one In an adjacent building to my office, That requires me to walk a good bit. (approx. ¼ mile round trip, with some stairs) Serves the Dual function Of not leaving a noxious cloud in my workspace. Always park in the furthest space. At first I parked mid-way from door, Now, I park Far from any main entrance. I added this bit by bit over the last 2 years. Now, it’s just habitual And I don’t have to "think about it." Leave the TV remote On a table in the middle of the room. I don’t have to walk all the way over To the TV to change the channel But I do have to go through the action Of getting my azz up. Never take an elevator fewer than three flights, Take the stairs. I also started this as a "One Flight Rule," And have built up to 3. Now that my Knees are happy With this little man they are Carting around, they don’t seem to mind at all. Get rid of the electric can opener and use a manual one. I cook a lot and as my old Opener Died, I didn’t replace it. Easy, but since I cook a lot, It adds just a tiny bit of fore-arm action To every meal I make. Never Wait without walking. My Airport Exercise. Where I used to try to find a good place to park my Butt While enduring a lay-over at an airport, I now walk from one end of the Concourse Or Terminal to the other to pass the time. Still able to Cell phone like a crazy-man, but I’m adding a little exercise while doing it. Your gonna’ be sitting on the plane anyway, Walking right up until you get on, Makes even the worst seat Seem a little more comfortable After putting in several Miles in the Terminal. Never see another TV commercial again. I get up and walk to another room Whenever there is a commercial on the tube. I started this back when I was Just getting able to walk again, Using it as a "timer" to get in walking, (Very Useful!) And I’ve just kept it. I Put my favorite coffee mug on a very low shelf, So I’ll have to squat down to get it out and put it back. I’ve also done this with my paper for my Printer and Other items at my studio. Low enough so I have to REALLY Squat low or get on a knee to reach it. The getting down, and then back up activity Becomes second nature. I practice "aerobic shopping" by taking a lap Around the mall or grocery store Before I go into a mall store Or put an item in the cart. I’ll "Do" the outer ring of The Grocery store and look at sale items, Then start back in the produce area. I really push right along with some speed So as not to add to much time to my shopping trip. Never go through a "drive-thru." I don’t frequent the fast food places any more, But if I am stopping by a Taco Bell (re-fried beans Rule!) or such, I park (at a distance) and walk in. It takes some of the "shine" off Of those places that once offered Semi-immediate satisfaction. I don’t even "Drive-Thru" At the mail drop at the Post Office. "Park it and Walk" can add a good bit Of walking over the course of a month. Sit on the Floor. When ever I’m at home in the living room, I try to use a cushion or pillow and the floor As often as possible for sitting. Watching TV, Enjoying the Fireplace, Playing with the dog, whatever. The simple act of getting down and back up (which would have only happened In the past as the result of some horrible accident) Adds stretching, and simple exercise to each day. I tie my shoes without bringing them up to me. No more crossing my leg up To make tying my shoes easier. Bending on over, even while sitting, Forces extra stretching of my back and general Extra effort on my part. I did it at first at the suggestion of my Physical Therapist As a way to get more stretching in for my back. I’ve kept it as – "This is just how I tie my shoes Now!" Keep my Wallet and Keys on the floor. I’ve always had a big bowl On a side table in my bedroom Where I put my change, Keys and wallet every evening. I still have it, Now it just sits on the floor under that table. I have to bend down each time to put my stuff in it And every morning when I gather up my crap. I tried putting it up high so I’d have to reach up But I ended up dropping coins once too often. I get the same extra stretching and effort out of Picking these items up from the floor. Now it’s just second nature. I don’t sit while talking on the phone. I’m forced to sit at my computer so much while working That I added the "stand while talking" rule to my phone time. It actually makes getting to the papers and stuff I need to Refer to while on the phone much easier anyway. And if the call is just about ideas or stuff, I seem to think better "On my Feet" anyway. If nothing else, The getting up several times a day And walking around Adds a very tiny bit of exercise. Eventually all of this adds up. On those days when my Life gets too busy To make time for my 3 to 5 mile walk in the park, Or my workout at home with weights, I still have to pick up my wallet, tie my shoes, etc… I’ve tried adding lots and lots of little new habits To get in more activity But these are the ones that stuck. For all of you who are just starting out, While you are losing weight at record speeds, Add in some little habits For the future when you won’t have The positive re-enforcement of constant "Wow Moments!"To keep you going. "We Are what we repeatedly Do. Excellence, then, is not an Act, But a Habit." – Aristotle Smart old Greek! I’m enjoying Habitual Health Now And making Habitually Good Food Choices. Just Living with the Daily realization that this Is a Forever Thing, and that It keeps on working! Sorry for the Habitually Long Ramble….. Hope someone finds it useful. Best Wishes- Dx

LadyDi9080
on 8/10/06 3:30 am - Tallahassee, FL
What great advice, especially on the stretching. I'd not thought of that before.  Tonight at the gym, I'll tie my shoes differently! I am also passing this along to a few people I care about. Dianne from FL
Dx E
on 8/10/06 5:38 am - Northern, MS

Thanks Dianne, I had a "rough Take-Off" with my WLS And had to do a little at a time. Now at over 3 years out And coming up on 2 years at Goal or below, It’s the "little differences," That have made All the Difference! Best Wishes- Dx

Barbara J. H.
on 8/10/06 3:45 am - Martinsburg, WV
What wonderful advice!  I'm passing this along to my husband, who has a "desk job".    Maybe if I start doing these things, he will too!  Thanks again.

Banded 3/30/06 -VG band currently @ 5.5 ccs
Colby Matthew  8-7-07 Born 5 weeks early @ 3:27 pm. 5 lbs 10 oz  19 1/2 in.            CIMG3503.jpg image by TealHearts70 Colby @ 4 mo. 

Dx E
on 8/10/06 5:41 am - Northern, MS

Thanks Barbara, It takes a while to make them a "Habit," But once they are, it’s Easy after that! I’m all about finding the Easiest Way! Guess I’m "Naturally Lazy" Working toward Naturally Active! Best Wishes- Dx

Susan O.
on 8/10/06 5:10 am - Atlanta, GA
Wow, that is being really mindful of the range of human behaviors that can make each of us more active! Thank you. Susan
Dx E
on 8/10/06 5:43 am - Northern, MS

Susan, I tried many other things that didn’t "Stick!" Or didn’t seem worth the added time and bother. These were the ones that were fairly easy To turn into "Habits." (For Me) Best Wishes- Dx

Amy Williams
on 8/10/06 6:26 am
DX, You are always a wealth of information.  Appreciate what you are doing. BTW,  how has your plastic surgery been?  Mine is coming up soon!

I've lost over 400 pounds!  
I love helping others, if you have a question just ask!  

Click on a link to read more about my journey:  
My website   My reconstructive photos 

Dx E
on 8/10/06 6:43 am - Northern, MS

Hi Amy! How soon is your PS? Mine went SUPER!!! It Could Not have gone better!! I love it, Completely!!!! (so, can you tell I’m happy with it) The easiest thing ever for me, And the results are amazing. I didn’t expect this much of a change. If I’d known this, I wouldn’t have resisted it for so long! I just saw Jeremy’s Post and dropped in. I’ve been "Cloistered" off on the Men’s Board Mostly. I am very interested in this forum. I ran my first 5K this July 4th, (2 days before my PS) And now I’m totally hooked! My Doc says wait another 3 weeks And I can get back to my running 3 days a week. May your PS exceed all of your expectations! Best Wishes- Dx

Amy Williams
on 8/10/06 6:46 am
What exactly did you have done?  I've got probably 5-6 surgeries in my future, if I go that far...  First one will have a hernia repair with it, and tummy tuck, all the way around the side as possible, anchor cut.  How long before you felt better afterwards? Amy
Most Active