Exercise Dilemna

Karen W.
on 8/10/06 11:58 pm - Worcester, MA
Hi all, I've been waiting for a forum like this.  I have a dificult problem finding beneficial exercises that I can do.  Here is my dilemna:  I have severe arthritis in both my knees and spine.  I live on a steep hill so walking is virtually impossible.  I cannot afford a gym or personal trainer and even swimming at the Y is out of my reach.  I am on disability.  Here is what I heave been doing.  I have a gazzelle freestyle.  I can use it 20-30 minutes a day without stressing my knees too badly.  I also use arm weights and do toning exercises for my legs and abdomen.  I don't know if I am doing these correctly though.  The problem is I am getting pretty bored with this routine and sometimes I have a tough time forcing myself to do it.  Other than that I have a pretty sedentary life.  Can you offer any suggestions to vary things up a bit?  I just had my 6 month check up and have lost 105lbs. so I must be doing something right. Thanks, Karen
Earl C.
on 8/11/06 3:13 am - Circleville, OH
There are a lot of things you can do with stretch bands and free bodyweight things you should be able to do...just judging from what you're doing on the gazzelle already. Check out the beginners Guide on here for some hints. You're doing great. Keep it up. Earl
Becky_M
on 8/11/06 5:49 am - Northwest, GA
Karen, can you drive to a walking track?  A lot of parks, schools, and hospitals have very nice ones.  I know it's a little hot to do that now, but it's a great fall and spring exercise. Becky
Kat C
on 8/13/06 2:12 pm - Tuscaloosa, AL
Scour yard sales for a recumbent exercise bike, one where the seat has a back and you sit with your legs out in front. When I was recovering from a knee injury (and had chronic lower back pain), this was recommended for me. Also, do you have a VCR or DVD player? If so, you can get some chair aerobics or chair dancing videos that are great. They cover modifications for all kinds of limitations/ability levels. Good luck! Kathy
Kat C
on 8/13/06 2:33 pm - Tuscaloosa, AL
I meant to include this link in m earlier reply. My parents have ordered some of these and they like them a lot: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs/102-2143935-5828905?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Dblended&keywords=chair+aerobics&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go
Susan O.
on 8/13/06 11:40 pm - Atlanta, GA
Find a used copy of Strong Women Say Slim online. It shouldn't be too much money $5-8 dollars or so. There are 6-8 strength training exersizes that are great for women and will really help you to get started. Susan
Most Active