What's the real story with water?

Sinderela4
on 8/11/06 3:21 am - Philadelphia, PA
Can anyone tell me the real story with drinking fluids/water?  I hear so many conflicting accounts and I also have such a hard time believing that drinking 64 oz. of water/fluid a day can help you lose weight.  All I can think is that you are putting this fluid in your body and that is just another thing you have to lose. I am on a 10 week plateau and everyone is telling me that I am not drinking enough.  I was drinking a cup of decaf coffee a day and a 16 oz. bottle of water.  I was also getting in two servings of fruit a day and I think that helps with fluid. Can anyone tell me the real deal with drinking water?  Does it help to lose weight? Thanks for your help. Loretta
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/06 5:17 am - Conyers, GA

I've heard that you should drink your weight (in ounces) in water, I've heard that 64oz is just a "starting point", I've heard that for every 8 ounces of caffeine you drink, you should increase your water by an additional 8 ounces........   this lists of "shoulds" go on and on...... The truth of the matter is that there is just no such thing as drinking too much water..... however you can manage to get in the liquids, do it!  It DOES help with weight loss!  Just make sure you time it right so that you stop in the evenings in plenty of time that it doesn't interrupt your sleeping habits! Kristi

Dx E
on 8/11/06 5:51 am - Northern, MS

Loretta, Well, There are several different Reasons Why It’s SO Important/Helpful……. Water, Water, Water!! In any flavor you like. I still keep a bottle or glass within arms reach at all times. This is particularly effective for RNY’ers. By constantly sipping on No-Calorie Liquid, (WATER) The Jejunum limb is kept "plump" and stimulated. Now, follow me……. (an Uneasy Analogy) The Stomach has, prior to surgery, Been our major supplier of satisfaction from Eating. The Nerve endings there were stimulated And gave us Pleasure. If The surgery we had was to reduce The Craving and Pleasure Reward systems of Sex, The "primary" Sexual Nerve Centers Would have been "By-Passed" In order to feel that "Sexual Satisfaction," Other nerve systems would need to be stimulated And one would have to become "attuned" To "Feeling" that stimulation. (Beyond the Naughty Bits Now) By bypassing our Stomach, and only leaving the pouch, Which doesn’t send the same "Pleasure Signals" That the full stomach did, Only Pain if one stimulates it beyond its limits, The Jejunum becomes our Metaphoric G-Spot! Deep and full sensations of Satisfaction and Fullness Emanate from the Nerves there when it is "Full" And Plumped up from excess Water. (Sorry I went around the cup to get to this handle, But who knew we Men had our own G-Spot Now?) Do you follow? By keeping the Jejunum stimulated, A feeling of Satiation is produced that is sent to the Brain Very similar to the Signal that was once sent by the Stomach. It’s a "Different Full" But once one learns to "feel it" It is just as powerful! (It’s an obligatory graphic analogy, but you get it. Yes?) I worry that people will get all "tingly" When looking at their Crystal-Lite Now! Beyond the sense of "Satisfaction," Walk, Walk, Water, Water…? There’s a reason for that "Mantra."

Increasing your water consumption stimulates lipolysis (The breakdown of fat stored in fat cells ) And cleans your system of excess ketones.

Water is also helpful, in fact essential In overcoming "plateaus" or "slowed loss." There’s an 8 to 10lb. volume of "wiggle room" due to water alone. And it comes into play a lot. This has to do with our bodies using glycogen for short term energy storage. Glycogen is not very soluble, But it is stored in our muscles for quick energy – One pound of glycogen requires 4 lbs of water to keep it soluble, And the average glycogen storage capacity is about 2 lbs. So, when you are not getting in enough food, (Like when you drop down to your calorie intake) Your body turns first to stored glycogen, Which is easy to break down for energy. And when you use up 2 lbs of glycogen, You also lose 8 lbs of water that was used to store it Voila -- the "easy" 10 lbs that most people lose in the first week of any diet. As you stay in caloric deficit, however, Your body starts to ‘realize’ that this is not a short term problem. You start mobilizing fat from your adipose tissue And burning fat for energy. But your body also ‘realizes’---- (by way of your liver releasing hormones signaling low Cal intake) ---That fat can't be used for short bursts of energy – Like, to outrun a sabertooth tiger. So, it starts converting some of the fat into glycogen, And rebuilding the glycogen stores. And as it puts back the 2 lbs of glycogen into the muscle, 8 lbs of water has to be stored with it to keep it soluble. So, even though you might still be LOSING energy content to your body, (Thus showing negative Calorie load overall) Your weight will not go down or you might even GAIN for a while As you retain water to dissolve the glycogen that is being reformed and stored. Yes? The whole ‘weight-loss’ process is not a straight "Slide" down the scale. More like "Stair-Steps," (Down then forward, then down, then forward, etc... As your body cycles fat out of "deep storage" and through the Liver Into the muscles as Glycogen. The muscles and Liver can hold about a 3 weeks supply. This is why many people find that their "Stall" or "Plateau" Breaks when adding a bit of exercise And upping their WATER intake, Or in the case of an "extreme exerciser," The total Calorie or Protein Intake, To signal the liver to let go of more Glycogen. Many people who are now enjoying life at a normal BMI Once had a few weeks or so of thinking- "...my weight loss has been awfully slow, has it stopped..."? "Does Drinking all this Water Really Help?" "Does it Really help to lose weight?" YOU BET!! Have a Great and Water-filled Weekend!! Best Wishes- Dx

Scott William
on 8/11/06 6:41 am
If your urine is bright then drink more.  If it is clear, you are good.  It is not really that simple but is a good indicator. Scott
Dx E
on 8/11/06 7:03 am - Northern, MS

Balloon Man!! Back from Vermont? Have a Great weekend! Best Wishes- Dx

John White
on 8/12/06 3:37 am - CA
Short response: 1) Not drinking enough water will cause your body to think it needs to store the water you do drink.  That is, low water intake causes water retension. 2) Ketosis, the process the body uses to burn fat in a low-calorie diet, produces waste products that you body -needs- to get rid of through urine.  You need to drink more water to wash out the waste products of ketosis. 3) This impression that you have of water being more weight you need to lose is totally wrong.  You're trying to lose -stored-fat- in your body, not generic weight.  And your body is very good at keeping it's water balance.  After hydrating well for a day or so, your body figures out that it's going to get lots of water regularly, so it gets processed to urine very quickly.  In fact, the water you were retaining due to low water intake will be let go, so for a while you might urinate at a higher volume than you drink!
Most Active