Heart rate

wishingtoshrink
on 8/13/06 7:40 pm - Brainerd, MN
I have a question that I have never been able to get a straight answer to before. I am trying to find my target heart rate to burn fat. Ok so here is the problem. I take high blood pressure medication so that when I go to the gym no matter how hard I work on the treadmill bike or whatever my heartrate gets between 81-and91 never higher. So im wondering if im just wasting my time or if I am actually burning fat. my resting rate is right around 65. HOpe someone can help me with this Thanks

Earl C.
on 8/14/06 4:26 am - Circleville, OH
Hi, It's not really my area of expertise but I do have an opinion...naturally. You're burning calories by doing anything...even laying down. You burn more on a treadmill no matter what your heart rate gets too. Burn more calories than you take in and you'll lose fat. I know they have all these magic numbers people are suppose to reach while doing cardio but I think it's a little bit of overkill for most people. It makes something simple and productive overly complicated and stressful. I just don't think it's necessary for all people especially someone that's just had WLS and maybe never exercised before in their lives and couldn't walk up a flight of stair before WLS. Do you really believe you're wasting your time by exercising? Any exercise is better than no exercise. I was on High Blood pressure medication too. After WLS I was off it. Exercise and diet keep me off it....I hope. Good Luck Never quit. Earl
Maria M.
on 8/14/06 4:36 am - East Boston, MA
Here's some info from the Mayo Clinic re: beta blockers (I'm assuming that your medication is a beta blocker) and target heart rate: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/beta-blockers/AN01224 Lots of other info out there too.  Here is the google search page for "target heart rate" and "beta blockers" http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22target+heart+rate%22 +%22beta+blockers%22&btnG=Google+Search Hope this is helpful, Maria
"Life expands or contracts in direct proportion to one's courage" --Anais Nin

wishingtoshrink
on 8/14/06 11:21 am - Brainerd, MN
Wow Maria thank you !!  I went to the mayo clinic site and that is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I never knew my pill was a beta blocker that was never explained to me. So once again thank you .
Maria M.
on 8/14/06 1:22 pm - East Boston, MA
Glad I could help.  --Maria
"Life expands or contracts in direct proportion to one's courage" --Anais Nin

Most Active