Unlurking...frustrated...need help!! (long srry)

awakeningheart
on 8/24/06 12:21 pm - SC

1st apologies ....for post being long.. I have been lurking around OH for several months now and I want to say "thanks to all who post and reply to the questions asked here" I have learned alot from everyone here and on other OH forums too. I am not sure if I should be here because I have not had any surgeries to lose weight..but I have been researching all avenues... I am hoping that now someone can help me tho..so hence some background..... I am a 52 year old female with a weight problem (BIG TIME) I have been overweight for about 25 years now. Fought depression the last 5 years or so...to a blossoming weight of 295 pounds  and being morbidly obese... This past November 2005, I started trying to get healthier and lose this weight. From the get go...I have tried to watch my food with better choices and a lifestyle to live by and lose weight too...I also have tried to encorporate exercise into my daily routines too.  In the beginning...I barely could walk a half mile at a slow pace...but I persevered and just this past week.....was able to run for a full mile without stopping...(a milestone for me  ) After being sick from May til July with 3 bulging discs and a case of the shingles...I am back on my journey to losing this weight. so here is my problem....since May to today...my weight and inches have stayed the same ( I am currently at 232). I am working very hard at trying to lose but I don't see any results for my efforts. Here is my day of exercise..5x a week 40 mins walk/run 2-3 miles, 20 mins on ab-doer, 30 mins on the bowflex doing 2 reps of 15 with 20# resistance for abs, leg,shoulder, hip & arm exercises, 1.5 hours in the pool doing lunges, laps, kicks, arm exercises.. on the weekend...usually just pool workouts for 1.5 hours my food intake is around 1000-1200 calories...with about 96 oz of water a day. So what am I doing wrong?? Too much? Too little?? It is hard to stay focused and motivated when I don't see any results on the scale or with the tape measurements (actually...some are larger now like my arms and calves)...Yes..physically in ways...I am able to see some changes...like being able to tie shoes, walk and even run...but why not in other ways I need to see??  any help or thoughts or advice...will be appreciated so much...I am at a loss at what to do to solve this problem. again "Thanks OH for this forum & my apologies for being so chatty"

Kat C
on 8/25/06 5:05 am - Tuscaloosa, AL
Hi Linda, Congrats on your success so far! You are doing great & have made a serious commitment to your health with that exercise program. That program is about 3X what I do! I don't know what to tell you about being stalled. My experience is that sometimes there is NOTHING I can do, other variables get between me and dropping # on the scale, so I just put my head down and press on with eating right & working out. Sometimes I will do something to really shake things up, and that seems to break stalls for me, not always, but sometimes. Things like: Variation in consumption - I don't count calories, but sometimes I will add or subtract a protein shake per day for awhile, and that seems to shake things up. Exercise variation/vacation - sometimes I take a break of 2-3 days, or just scale way back for 2-3 days running (easy 30 min walk, basic ab workout) Sometimes I shake up the order in which I eat my meals, so that I'll have my biggest meal in the morning for awhile, lighter thru the day. Then switch it up to have lighter at mid-day for awhile. It all kind of feels like "diet voodoo" to me sometimes. But I do believe that the body and metabolism settle in when we adapt ourselves to strict routines, and that causing a "spike" in the routine sometimes seems to get things moving. Can you consult with a doctor or nutritionist or personal trainer who can advise you more closely about your food & exercise program? It can be so frustrating, I know. Sometimes I feel like a total idiot, having had this drastic surgery, and then going TWO MONTHS without losing a pound. What the ??? But then I calm down :-) I am over 16 months out now, and while it's slow, it's still coming off. I've got another 35 or so to go, and I'm just gonna keep on keepin on. I wish you the best with it too! Good luck & congrats again on your success! Kathy
awakeningheart
on 8/25/06 3:54 pm - SC
had your reply all typed out and it disappeared. I sure hope it doesn't appear 2x's anyways...here goes again.. 1st off...YOU have done a fantastic job with your health improvements and weight loss too!!! (-145 #'s ) I went back and read your profile...you had me laughing, smiling and yep...even crying with you...I can so....relate to alot of your struggles and thoughts. Thank you for sharing. YOU have done really well....I know you are very proud of your accomplishments... "Keep on keeping on" there is no doubt that you are gonna reach your goal...You sound like a *****y lady full of life and energy.. Best wishes on your upcoming wedding too...I liked your dress and shoes too... Thank you so much for your suggestions you gave me to try to help get that dastardly scale and/or tape measure to show me some results.. I too have been thinking that maybe this ole bod has gotten used to what I am doing...so...I will be considering/using some of  your strategies to "shake things up" as you say  thanks again
(deactivated member)
on 8/25/06 5:00 pm - Yakima, WA
Hi, the reason you didn't see your posts is new member's posts are moderated the first 5 days of membership and require approval to appear.  You should be on your last day of moderation now.   Best, ~Tooter OH Staff
julieohio
on 8/25/06 10:17 am - Gahanna, OH
Hi, and congrats on al your success. With that much exercise you might not be getting enough nutrition. You might want to increase your protein perhaps add a few shakes each day in addition to your calories and see if that helps. Julie
awakeningheart
on 8/25/06 3:33 pm - SC
Thanks Julie... for your responding to my post...it helps so much to get input from others...as they say "2 heads are better than one"  Well, for me the more the better.. I too, have thought that maybe my body has gotten used to the food and routine that I am in...so a little extra protein might not be a bad idea...thanks again for the suggestion.. Best wishes and luck with your journey too
Donnamarie
on 8/26/06 12:57 pm - NY
What a timely post for me!!! Well, okay so it's two days later but who is counting???  I was on a plateau since around the same time as you.  I could not break it no matter what.  I was frustrated but patient at the same time.  I decided to up the exercise a little and change it up.  I didn't change my eating as much but I wasn't so obsessive about it and concentrated on getting more protein in.  Today I was down 6 pounds.  I broke the plateau, thankfully. So just hang in there and be patient, but really mix it up a bit.  You'll be surprised! Congratulations on your success so far.  I am a non-op like you!! Let's show everyone that the stats that are against us can be conquered! Donna
awakeningheart
on 8/28/06 12:02 pm - SC
Awww Donna.... Thank you so much for your encouraging words and suggestions...answering time doesn't matter...as you can see I have not exactly answered johnny on the spot either (life seems to have a way of changing plans) lol  Congratualations on breaking your plateau and 6 pounds too!!!  It has to be a great feeling and relief to finally see that scale moving again..YOU have done a superb job with your weight and journey  even with the ups and downs..   YOU should be very proud of all you have accomplished. I read your profile and do admire your patience, stamina and frame of mind along your journey. I too, am trying to make myself understand that is is important for me to treat myself with the same love, care and concern that I do for those that I love around me. I know you have to be so excited about your upcoming surgery too...YOU have worked hard to get to where you are ....oh you just wait...I bet you will spend some time in front of the mirror...looking at that new woman you have always visualized yourself to be....if there is some way that I can support you...just let me know.. YOU are right...it is very hard trying to get healthy and lose this weight..I am not giving up...I will go down with the ship in any case..but at least I will go down trying.. Thanks again for your encouragement...
Most Active