How much to eat

livelyvc
on 8/29/06 1:23 am - Alexandria, VA
I am almost a year out from my proximal RNY. I've gone from 298 to 173. I have really incorporated exercise into my life. I work out at least 4 times a week at the gym and often take the dog on long walks.  A few months back I completed a 12 week Total Body Makeover program--and I'm now in week 8 of a 12 week weight training program. I know I've added muscle in addition to loosing weight. Here's my question. Lately I'm a lot hungrier. This makes sense, because I'm working out vigorously and have added muscle. But I'm constantly afraid I gain weight. Recently I've been feeling very tired. Could this be from not eating enough or possibly over training?  Does anyone have any advice on how to decide how much food is enough. Also, I've booked a 6 day hiking vacation for the end of october. We will be hiking between 8 and 10 miles a day. Do I need to increase my food intake for this trip? Thanks  Courtney
slowgal
on 8/29/06 6:28 am

Hi Courtney... First, congrats on your success!  The real advice I'll give you is to contact a dietician that is familiar w/ postie life. I saw my dietician today, as a matter of fact, with a similar question. I run 10 miles per week and hit the gym for a 'core' workout twice per week. About a month ago (prior to the addition of the core workout) I went thru a week of tremendous hunger. I swear I could have eaten the arse end of a donkey and still felt the need to eat more! Let me preface the rest of my comments by saying I did not feel a loss of energy or increased fatigue while going thru this hunger period...

I acknowledged my hunger and therefore increased my intake... mostly protein, but added carbs as well. I actually felt worse, as I triggered the carb monster in the process. ugh. I then reviewed my intake and decided to add more non carbonated/no sugar/ no caffeine liquids (i.e. crystal lite, etc...). I now drink a 16oz bottle of water inbetween everything else I put in my mouth... and I'll be darned if this didn't get me thru that period of time. I made that decision based on the fact that I was getting in plenty of protein (at least 85g/day... tho' most days I was over 100) to fuel my body for the physical activity I was putting it thru. I like to keep my carbs from 'natural' sources and low(er).  I came to the conclusion that it was head hunger... I was giving my body the fuel it needed and just because I 'wanted' to eat (hunger... it honestly felt like true honest-to-goodness hunger), didn't mean that I ncecessarily needed to. So, back to my comments about my dietician visit. I am 9 months out and at goal (5'7", 140#'s). Currently I consume about 1200 cal/day w/ 40+% of my intake from protein (~120 g). Some days I do better than others w/ keeping my carbs at/around 50g. I sure 'feel' better when I up my protein and drop my carbs. Dunno why, but I sure do. The good dietician said that the current #'s I consume are ideal for my activity level. If I increase my activity I should increase my calories and vice/versa. Throw that salt over your shoulder as you read my 'advice'! *wink* Best of luck and keep up the hard work!

Most Active