curves??? good or bad gym after gastric bypass

dmcgloin
on 1/25/08 11:32 pm - Lancaster, NY
my choices are limited as to where i can join.....  does anybody know if Curves would be a good gym to gym???   Its all resistance machines....no actual weights...  does that matter??? Thanks

Deanna

Linn D.
on 1/26/08 11:06 am - Missoula, MT
Deanna, What are your other choices?  I'm not a big fan of Curves.  People tend to get bored pretty quickly, and resistance machines aren't really helping you have functional strength.  Those machines were designed to help body builders make defined muscles, not to give good functional strength.  Your body doesn't move the way machines make you move it, so you really aren't building usable strength. Another thought about Curves is it really isn't a continuous cardiovascular workout - there's too much start and stop.  In my opinion, you'd actually be better off by walking briskly in your neighborhood and buying some resistance bands and doing strength training with them.  Physical therapists use them for their clients because they really do work for building strength. I know that there are lots of people who like Curves and go there because it is for women only.  I'm not trying to step on any toes, and I'm really not trying to discourage you from using something that may be your best choice at the moment. The best thing is to find a place or routine you're comfortable with so you'll be consistent. Linn
Alisa D.
on 1/26/08 11:59 am
I have to agree with Linn. Althought i am not post-op I can only talk from personal experience. I found that i achieved no results what so ever, and I felt that many of the people who worked out there were very rude. i am sure that part just depends on the center, but that has turned me off from ever stepping in another one again. I also find weights more enjoyable, but you have to do them for progress.
KTBee
on 1/26/08 9:52 pm

In the past, even when I first worked out with a "especially for beginners" trainer affiliated with my chiropractor, I was a huge supporter of Curves.  I still am for certain reasons, BUT I completely agree with Linn. Let me qualify.  I now work out with a hardcore certified professional trainer that competes and trains competitors.  I have acheived incredible results working with her.  I am completely hooked on weight workouts followed immediately by cardio.  I NEED to workout as a stress reliever too.  It has taken on that role for me.  I have had my confidence in my strength soar and my whole mindset has changed on what I do with my time--a more active lifestyle that has me biking with friends or now planning on adding a martial art with a friend instead of going out to eat with friends.  But I am about to celebrate my first year surgiversary and I have lost 157 pounds and now enjoy pushing my limits and finding new limits.  Curves is not great for me NOW. With that said, as an easily accessible facility, Curves is great.  Each center has its own personality.  Mine was upbeat, encouraging, education oriented, proper form focused, lots of explanation available on the how and why of the machinery.  I went from pre-op not moving a lot to high intensity advanced workout months post op.  Sign in contests promoting working out consistently drove me to be faithful.  The staff greeted me by name and were excited about my results.  It was a great fun and social place to go and it made me feel good physically, emotionally, and mentally.  The harder you work the machines, the harder you work.  I could always keep my heart rate up as long as I did what I was supposed to do and kept moving.  I had great results too but I had to eventually work harder and longer and I plateaued in results.  Okay, it took me 8-9 months post op to do that but I have friends who have gotten to that point in 5 months (regretting their year long contract) and others who are hooked on the newest Curves equipment (big change from older) and would never work out like I do now.  Curves is a fabulous confidence builder and has its place.  It is almost impossible to beat for upbeat encouragement which is a huge factor in consistency. Where you choose to workout and how is a personal choice.  The biggest and most important factor is consistency.  What do you have to do to be consistent?  You know yourself best.  Walking is a great start.  As you progress, it really isn't hard to make adjustments to push a little further.  Stretchy bands can work great.  I still use them.  I highly recommend a heartrate monitor that straps around your chest and has a watch that is programmable  (they are $48 at Walmart).  No matter how you choose to workout, you will get better results my constantly monitoring your heartrate.  It motivates you to go from the leisurely stroll to the brisk walk and helps you know when to work harder as you progress.  You may not even need a gym or Curves if you can and will motivate yourself.  I invested in having the trainer come to my home.  You may not need that kind of motivation.  You may have it on your own.  I have enough basic equipment where I can work out here at home.  My husband has a crazy schedule and there are no quality gyms nearby.  We workout like this together.  This is the option that works for us.   Sorry for the long answer but since it is such a personal choice, I felt you needed as much info from as many people as possible.  Definately check out Curves.  They usually let you workout for a week at no charge to see if you like it.  I would encourage a month to month committment instead of a yearly committment.  It is a few dollars more a month but not much.  After 4 or 5 months you will know if this is where you stay or where you launch from.  The staff should be trained to help you advance.  The challenge you have is consistency and being your best advocate to reach your potential whether it is walking briskly, working at Curves, working at a gym or whatever you do.  You are in charge of your potential. Good luck! Katy B

dmcgloin
on 1/26/08 10:07 pm - Lancaster, NY
i'm not sure there are any other gym choices that would work for me.  i only have about a 1 hour windwo between when i get off work and when i pick up my daughter..... What about a balance ball??   I've seen those a lot lately....are they a good purchase?? I have some walking tapes that i've been doing at home...so those i can use.....

Deanna

Karen S.
on 1/28/08 6:11 am - Hudson Falls, NY
Hi, My name is Karen, my RNY was 8/29/07.  I joined Curves prior to my surgery so that I could get in a good habit of exercising.   I enjoy going to Curves.  Since my surgery I have increased the amount of days that I go and I have also increased the number of reps that I can do on each machine.   I have found that the baggies under my arms are tightening up, which is nice and so are my legs.  The tummy has been getting smaller but I believe it will take plastic surgery to make it flat...Oh, well. I believe that Curves is an all around good workout, you have resistance training and cardio along with stretching.   The Curves I go to is full of friendly women and the owners are very helpful and attentive to your needs.  For instance, I needed help with getting enough protein and Sue, one of the owners, worked with me on what foods might help me. My 24-year-old daughter joined after I did and she loves it...They have what they call a Super Saturday, which is where you work as hard as you can on the machines with the owners counting reps and encouarging you to work as hard as you can.  My daughter abosolutely LOVED IT and cannot wait for the next Super Saturday.  I will get there soon but for right now I set my own personal goals to increase my reps on each machine. I hope you find the right niche for you.  I also walk when the weather is nice, I live in upstate New York and right now it is COLD and snowy...so not much fun walking right now but spring is coming. PS usually Curves has a free trial and they also have other offers so check out your local Curves.   Good Luck.  Karen Schworm

Most Active