Motivation?

Keydi B.
on 2/23/08 5:45 am - Elmwood Park, NJ
How do you get motivated to exercise?   I am not an early riser so I sleep as late as I can. I also lately have been completely exhausted from work when I get home at night.    My question is how do you get motivated?     I have always told myself that it will help you lose weight and to put myself down which in turn I think was depression.    Advice is greatly appreciated and Support is very much welcome!  thanks in advance. 
Have a Nice Day/Night! 
Keydi

Cassie W.
on 2/23/08 7:29 am
I think the key to getting started is to start slow, but set some long term goals so you have something to shoot for.  We often think of things in terms of "all" or "nothing," but it's okay to do something in between.    Convince yourself that even if you're tired, you'll do at least 10 minutes of something most days of the week to get started.   It may be stretching, yoga, walking, running, biking, dancing to your ipod - anything to get you moving.  10 minutes is not so daunting.  Then you can start adding minutes.   I found that once I started exercising, my energy levels increased.  And even when I'm tired, if I just get started I feel more energized. Finding a workout buddy can also help with motivation.  I run with a partner three days a week and since we don't want to disappoint each other, it's rare that we miss a run. Good luck to you. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Sexy L.
on 2/24/08 2:18 am - Hordville, NE
Motivation?  I just make myself get up and go.  I am just getting started on a regular exercise program.  I found that picking out something that I wanted to do that required being physically fit helped.  I am going to do the 10K Bolder Boulder in Boulder Co. in May.  I have started a routine that will get me from couch potato to fit by then.  Hazel

Hazelmejune24.jpg

Shelley L.
on 2/25/08 10:52 pm - overland park, KS
I agree, honestly, there is no magic motivation to be had.  Nike has the right idea.  Just DO it! I've found that even after working 12 hours shifts as an RN, if I just drive to the gym, put on my IPOD and start moving, I have more energy than I thought. I never in my life thought I'd go to the gym after work, but I do.  Sometimes I talk myself out of going, but then regret it later. Also, i agree with doing something you like.  If you dont like a treadmill, for heaven's sake, don't Do that. Even just a vigorous cleaning of a kitchen floor or something like that, counts.
Most Active