Runners poll: Gel packs

Deanna34
on 3/2/08 6:31 am - Salem, OR
Hi there! I am just curious what kind of gel packs you use during your long runs that are tolerable??? I tried a Clif Shot this morning and was gagging before I could even get the whole pack down!  It was nasty!   Is there anything that is tolerable and doesn't taste like flavored snot?  Or any other ideas for running supplements that are easy to carry in a pocket? Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

Linn D.
on 3/2/08 7:09 am - Missoula, MT
Hi Deanna, The first time I ever used them was during the marathon I just did.  I know that's not what you're supposed to do, but... I didn't like the taste of either of them (only used 2 one at 15 miles, one at 21 miles) but if you have a little water after it's tolerable enough.  The nice thing is how quickly they act.  The Clif Shot one was espresso flavored - you should see the photos of me taking that one - and the other was a Power Gel vanilla and it wasn't nearly as bad.  I think the more lightly or fruity flavored ones would be better for my palate. I never used them for any of my longer training runs - not even the 20 miler - and my personal opinion is that you're doing your body more good not using them when you train, but there are lots of opinions out there. Linn
Rob S.
on 3/2/08 7:29 am - DE

I just bought some of the Hammer gel packs.  I've used them on a couple of my century rides and they were ok, but I've never run far enough to have to use them (so far).  I cannot stand the Clif and GU, and they are both really high in sugar content. Not sure what I'm going to do on Sunday. Rob

MaryS
on 3/2/08 8:45 am - Long Island, NY
Deanna, I've had good luck with GU and, believe it or not, I actually like the flavors! The carbs might be a little high (25 gm), but the sugar is 3 gm. I generally don't use them unless I am doing a 1/2 marathon distance or longer and then I have one about every 5 miles. I don't know if they really help physically, or if it's a mental boost, but either way I feel like they help. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Cassie W.
on 3/2/08 8:55 am
I like the Jelly Belly Sport Beans because I can eat a couple at a time every few miles without intestinal issues.  The only trouble I ever had with them was drinking Gatorade and eating the beans.  It's one or the other not both - too much sugar together. Lately, I've just been drinking the G2 on my runs without any additional supplements.  But, I make sure I have about 200 calories a half hour before my run. Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Scott William
on 3/2/08 12:59 pm
I have only used the Powergel as far as the gels go.  Other than that, I have done 20+ miles on just powerade and water.  I have also done big milage runs on oatmeal cookies or begals.  I have yet to find something that doesn't cause some kind of gastric distress.  At Hyannis, I got a bunch of packets of a variety to try.  I got the Cliff Shots, Gu and Sport beans.  I also got another gel from another company.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kypdurran
on 3/2/08 11:42 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

This excerpt from marathon my race report will explain my feelings about gel packs.   In my opinion they ALL taste like flavored snot but they are a necessary evil for long distance runs.   The fruity-ish flavored ones are WAY more tolerable than the coffee, chocolate and vanilla flavors.   The "Expresso Love" flavor by GU is pretty much the worst thing that has ever passed my lips.  I still gag thinking about it.  I've seen the energy block thingamajigs sold alongside the gels and and was thinking about trying some of those or maybe even some of the energy jellybeans on my next long run instead of gels.  

"Hunter peeled off shortly after I exited City Park so he could get back his car and make it to the finish line of the race.  This was only after he sprinted to the store to get me a bottle of cold water because I was refusing to eat another gel pack with the ho****er I had in my jug on my hip.  I threw up shortly after taking in the "Espresso Love" GU Gel pack which I DO NOT recommend.  Gel packs by nature are nasty, nasty, nasty. Imagine flavored, warm snot.  They should actually label all their flavors as "snot" because that's what they taste like and that's my accurate description of them.  I think I threw up because it was just plain nasty more than my body rejecting it.  I did manage to get a bit of it down after I puked though.  I took a few big swigs of the wonderful COLD water and hoped that it would be giving me 'the boost' that I so desperately needed within a few minutes.  Well it did... Sheer willpower and that nasty gel pack boosted me all the way back to within a mile of the dome."

Sporty Jill
on 3/3/08 1:53 am - Norfolk, VA

Great question.  I got a few different types:  The Jelly Beans, The Performance Gel packs, Performance bars and the Cliff bars.

Yesterday, I ate a 1/3 size chunk of the performance bar - pretty good (like a tootsie roll), easy to eat while running.  The challenge will be carrying it, so I think I will have hubby carry it for me and meet me at every mile marker in case I want it - haha.

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

Chunky Dunker
on 3/3/08 6:31 am - WA
I was reading in a running book about using honey packets instead of gels. Anybody done this? I'ma a bit concerned about dumping mid marathon, but it does sound better than the snot packs.
Most Active