Tao Kwon Do...How long?

Anne Crawford
on 3/2/08 7:48 pm - GA
I trained a little with this in college and really loved it.  I want to get back into it..but just had surgery around 5wks ago.  Is there a time limit to wait before we can do something like this? Also is it feasible to start back at around 270 lbs? What other martial arts practices are  like TKD?
320/199/140<<<
Updated since I had my baby....280(highest pregnant)/245(current)/140 still is my goal and I know I can do it!!!

stitch0102
on 3/2/08 9:47 pm - Jersey Shore, PA
I went to black belt in TKD back in college.  I just started taking karate with my son but I'm a year out.  My advice would be of course to talk to your surgeon.  But I would spend some time losing a bit more weight first and working on flexibility and cardio for a while on your own.  I think that after a couple months of doing that your experience getting back into TKD or other karate styles would be more enjoyable.  Good luck!

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

MikeB
on 3/4/08 11:47 pm - Pottstown, PA
AnneMarie,  I started training in Kenpo Karate in April of 2002. At the time I was 528lbs. I had surgery in July of 2004 at the time I had earned a green belt. In January of 2007 I earned my black belt.  After my surgery I was out about 8 weeks the a little longer after the Tummy tuck. Anyway I would wait about another 4-5 weeks before commiting to a school. I would also use this time to check out schools and various styles that are offered in your area. My personal prefference is Kenpo. If you have prior experience in TKD then go for it. I must advise you against signing any long term deals especially ones that say you will be a black belt in x amount of years.   As to the point of working on flexability and conditioning before you go..  That's like telling someone to lose weight before they join a gym so they aren't embarresed.  developing conditioning and flexability is why you going. You want to make sure the instructors don't treat you differently because of your weight or condition. you know your abilities and your limitations. They should discriminate because of it.  When I started my instructor never made me feell like I shouldn't be there and he was able to taylor the workouts so I was pushed but never felt like I couldn't do it. and at the same time everyone else still got a good workout in.  Anyway I tend to ramble on this subject a little. Feel free to contact me in you have any questions concerning this topic.  Thanks  Mike
Most Active