Weight capacity of bikes

Maddie471
on 3/6/08 10:34 pm - IN

I am only 11 weeks post RNY and still have a lot of weight to lose, but I would like to buy a bike towards the end of the summer.  I would like a beach cruiser type bicycle.  I have been trying to find out how much weight a bike can hold, but have found little to no information--does anyone know what the average weight capacity for a bike is??  Any suggestions for a type of bike? Thanks!

Maddie471

BigOleTriGuy
on 3/7/08 1:17 pm - Alexandria, LA
I started at 500 lbs adn was riding at 410.  Find a referral bike shop or find a riding club in your area and they will help you find the right bike shop. There are heavy duty rims and while scared, I have never had a problem.  I am now a triathlete and still at 280 adn losing 23 months out. Good luck adn enjoy.   PS, get odometer and heart rate monitor too.  the odometer should cound cadence.  low gears, 10-11 mph adn 90 cadence is a good first goal for a 15 minute ride.  Overdoing it can deter a full future of fun adn socialization.  Bikers and Triers are an extrememly friendly and helpful bunch. e aka big ole tri guy
bill875
on 3/9/08 3:21 pm - Schaumburg, IL
Maddie, I would suggest checking over at http://www.bikeforums.net/ and visit the Clydesdale/Athena (Big folks) forum.  This is where I got my information on buying the right bike for me.  I own a Giant, Sedona DX (2005 model) and I started riding when I was 440lbs.  It is a strong bike and it put up with me last fall without any complaining or broken wheel spokes. Please post back and let us know what you decide on.  I personally can't wait to get out on my bike in the next few weeks it should be warm enough :D Take care, Bill
Most Active