Workout suggestions

cancelsbronx
on 3/13/08 11:26 pm - Stamford, CT
Hello,    Does anyone have any suggestions for exercising.  I am three months post-op and I have been loosing weight pretty fast.  I started at 354 before and I am down to 261.  I recently joined the gym but I am a bit hesitant because I have heard of the lap band having something called slippage.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.   Santos in Bronx, New York
Scott William
on 3/15/08 12:52 am
The lap band slippage is something I have not heard about but being an RNY guy, I havn't paid much attention.  That is something I would ask your sergeon about. As far as exercises, walking is a great start.  I started on a treadmill at 3 mph for 5 minutes.  9 months later I completed my first marathon.  Walking is great.  There are lots of bikers and swimmers also.  If you want to run, start with the walking and ease into it.  Anything that gets the heart rate up for an extended period of time is great.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
cancelsbronx
on 3/15/08 3:16 pm - Stamford, CT

Hello Scott,       Thanks for your suggestions.  Slippage is when the Lap Band actually slips out of place and it may cause many problems including obstruction.   This can occur from lifting heavy objects or even vomiting too much.  I will speak to my surgeon before I start going to the gym.  As for now I agree that walking is an excellent option.   Thanks again,   Santos

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/08 5:23 am
I have a lap band and it does not prevent me from doing any type of exercise.  I do ab work, weight lift, etc.  Band slippage is usually caused by having too tight of a fill, not by exercise. Lynne
cancelsbronx
on 3/16/08 12:31 pm - Stamford, CT
Hello Lynne,     Thanks for your response, I will keep that in mind.   Santos
(deactivated member)
on 3/18/08 12:16 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
Hi Santos, I agree with Lynn.  I've never heard of exercising causing a slip.  The only thing that I don't do in the gym specifically because of the band is to rest a weight on my abdominal area for weight-bearing crunches.  That can bruise my port area.   Does your gym offer an orientation to new members?  If so, check it out.  My gym does, and the trainer actually puts together a starter workout for you, and shows you how to do each exercise safely.  If not, you might want to consider hiring a trainer for a few workouts, until you understand the proper form and technique for each exercise.  Just make sure the trainer understands that your goal is to be *independent* of him/her, because some trainers make the workout seem confusing so that you continue paying them to put you through the paces! There are lots of great online resources for exercising.  You might want to check out this one: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exbeginners/a/exforbeginners.ht m The most important elements to any exercise routine are consistency and progression.  As long as you show up at the gym consistently, and gradually increase your intensity, duration, and frequency, you'll get fit! Tami
cancelsbronx
on 3/19/08 12:53 am - Stamford, CT
Hi Tami,    Thanks for your response.  My gym does offer help to new comers, so I will take advantage of this service.  And yes, I agree some gyms try to take advantage by offering these trainers and you have to pay extra for that.  It happened to a friend of mine.   Thanks for looking out.  Santos
Most Active