Avon Walker!

FitN2007
on 3/17/08 5:25 am
I still have a hard time even believing that I am actually posting on an exercise board!  Me!  What a difference 10 months makes.   I am doing the Avon 2 day walk in May.  29 miles day one and 13 miles on day 2.  I have been training for the past few weeks (although I caught a cold and have been down for about 2 weeks).  The most I have walked is 7 miles.  My problem is I walk very slowly on a treadmill.  My average is maybe 2.0-2.5.  The average race walk is around 3.2, which for me is basically a jog.    Do you walk faster on land than you do on a treadmill?  I still have a hard time imagining walking 29 miles. Any tips, tricks, skills.  I am working with a trainer to build muscle endurance and strength.  I am getting fitted for some good running shows and will have to get a few pairs of wicking socks, some glide.  I have a torn ACL and have had a meniscal repair.  It usually doesn't bother me when I walk but I have never walked this far.  Should I tape my knee or will that just chafe and irritate my leg after a certain point. Amari Starting weight 311 Current weight 201  

Deanna34
on 3/17/08 7:30 am - Salem, OR

Great job for signing up for that walk!  That is awesome! Do you walk outside now as part of your training or all on the treadmill?  I find it much harder to walk outside because of the incline changes, terrain, weather, etc.  I think you will naturally probably walk faster when the day comes because you will feel that sense of competitiveness.  But, I think it's VERY important that you do some training outside to get your legs used to the terrain.  And make sure you stretch really good before and after! I would also recommend getting some non-cotton socks ... you will definately need them and you will notice a huge improvement on how your feet feel after you wear them!  I paid $10 for a pair that I got but they are sooooo worth every penny! Good luck to you!  You'll do great! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

LostInTheNet
on 3/17/08 12:07 pm - Metrowest, MA
You will do fie. I have done 4 of the avon 2 day walks the first was the toughest. I was just to out of shape. I am aslo doing one in may the 18th and 19th in boston. I have aslo done the 3 day 60 mile 3 times. The atmsotphere on the event will carry you and you will be fine. Just remember to drik some gatorade to eplace salts and don't just drink water. This would be my only advice. And if your also walking boston I am doug from men with heart I should not be hard to find last yr there were only around 100 men and 15 men with heart in our yellow shirts. By the way it's 26.2 day one and 13.1 day 2 here in boston. Doug.

“Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles.? Charlie Chaplin 

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; What we have done for others and the world is immortal" -Albert Pike 

"The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self."-Whitney Young

FitN2007
on 3/18/08 5:01 am
thanks so much for the advice.  i will have to find some gatorade that I can actually get own.  For some reason whenever I've had it it just tastes like sweat (I know gross).   I do train outside too.  I find I walk faster outside.  I just got back from a 6 mile training walk from my office to the Lincoln memorial.  Once nice thing about walking is you get to actually see the city you live in instead of just seeing everything as it rushes by your car window. Amari

Most Active