shutting up that voice

liz A.
on 3/17/08 11:16 pm
lately I have been battling the negative voice in my head. "why are you even trying...youre not going to be able to finish this 5k" "you'll never be ready" "the entire race will pack up & leave & you'll still be on the course" etc, etc, etc. I was wondering if you guys struggle with these inner demons & what you do to get them to shut the heck up.   thanks!  hope your st paddys day was grand! 

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

kypdurran
on 3/18/08 12:37 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Yes.  I struggle with that voice at 5AM every morning when it's telling me to go back to sleep when my alarm is blaring.  

If you train you will be ready.   Don't listen to the voice. 

Chad.

Kevin A.
on 3/18/08 1:14 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Yea I hear those voices all the time. But I decided that I was going give 100% to my training. If I failed it would be because I did not give my best. Use those negative thoughts to show yourself what you can do if you make a commitment to do something great!!

I know you can do it!! If everyone else has done it before why can't you do it??
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Deanna34
on 3/18/08 4:48 am - Salem, OR
Oh, Kellee!  I have those same voices!!!  I sometimes catch myself listening to those voices and thinking how dumb that is ... you can do whatever you set your mind to!  There is no reason why you won't be able to finish your 5K ... you are training for it and you WILL be ready!  They won't pack up and leave you on the course!  I bet you won't be the last person to finish either!  I think you will surprise yourself at how well you'll do!  I have these two mantras I recite when I start listening to those inner demons:  "Pain is weakness leaving the body" or "Pain is temporary, pride is permanent" ... it really helps!  You will have a tremendous sense of accomplishment when you cross that finish line!  YOU WILL DO GREAT! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

liz A.
on 3/19/08 9:01 am
thanks for the encouragement everyone! nice to know I'm not the only one who deals with this (although intellectually I knew I couldnt be the only one....it just feels that way sometimes) I have to transition to outside here soon....now that I *think* winter may be done.   (I just jinxed it.  now we'll have a blizzard tomorrow or something.) thanks again!  you guys are awesome!!!

-liz lemon

aniduff
on 3/18/08 7:44 am - Red Deer, Canada
VSG on 04/17/08 with
The power of postive self talk is quite remarkable.  Everytime you hear the negative chatter in your head, repeat the complete opposite to yourself...I can't do, Yes I can do it!!!

D.O.S-217
Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.

Robert Collier

kelly H.
on 3/18/08 9:35 pm - Beaverton, MI
You can do it Kellee!!  I ran my first 5K Saturday.  I really didn't train for it.  I ran as long as I could and then I would walk for a min or so then run some more.  I kept telling myself....run to the next road and you can walk to the 3rd driveway.  I was not the last to finish (didn't care if I was)  My goal was to start and finish the race and I did it.  It took me 36 mins, but 18 mos ago I would not even attempted it.  You can do it!!!   Kelly
liz A.
on 3/28/08 4:54 am
hey kelly, I think at one point you mentioned trying to find various events happening.  I found this today, thought I'd share with you. http://www.gazellesports.com/events.aspx

-liz lemon

Most Active