Long hard exercise and the RNY (bypass)

seattle_homme
on 3/21/08 3:37 pm - Seattle, WA
Hi, I am trying to decide between a LapBand and a Bypass. I am leaning towards the bypass, but was told today by the nutritionist that for people who like to exercise a lot, it is better to get the LapBand (because it is easier to get the calories needed). I am interested in hearing from people who have had a Bypass and can still push their bodies hard (3-4 hour runs) and get enough calories to do so.  I used to really enjoy working out for long periods (hiking 8 hours, running 4-5 hours, biking hard all day), and although I don't think I would compete or anything, I would like to be able to push myself hard again, and hope the bypass wouldn't limit that (particularly after the first year).  Any thoughts on this? Thanks
Scott William
on 3/21/08 10:41 pm
There are a bunch of us here who have had the bypass and run marathons in the 5-6-7 hour range.  It can definitely be done with the bypass.  I am not sure of the difference with the band though.  It seems that there may be fewer gastro intestinal issues with the band but again, I am not sure.  I am at the point where I pretty much only use sports drinks to sustain me for the long runs.  I have done away with the gel.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Rob S.
on 3/22/08 3:04 am - DE
Early on your nutritionist may be right.  With the RNY it is difficult to get extra calories in, but you should have plenty of fat stores the first two years while you are losing weight.  You can push yourself hard.  People that exercise tend to do better over the long haul, than those that don't. I had RNY four and a half years ago and have always exercised hard.  I like many other posters to this site, have participated in many long runs and bike rides.   My only self-imposed restriction because of the bypass is that I do not drink the sport drinks (too much sugar), or eat any of the sweets that are provided at most races.  I do eat about 3000-3400 calories a day(six meals per day), and have maintained my weight for close to three years.   Whichever you decide, should not have much of an impact on your ability to exercise.  The more important thing is to start as soon as possible and make it part of your new life.  The posters to this site are examples, my heroes, and each one has had tremendous success with their new life. Rob
JackieinWA
on 3/22/08 8:46 am - Lynnwood, WA

There is also the surgery that I had (the VSG) and I live just north of Seattle.  You could check into that.  I know I was able to begin exercising farily rigoursly at 6 weeks p.o.  I am now 5 1/2 months post op and work out 4-5 days a week.  I had my surgery at Puget Sound Surgical Center.  Check into it, if you wish.  But also, as posted by several of the guys on here, most of them had the bypass and they are doing FANTASTIC!!!

Linn D.
on 3/22/08 8:52 am - Missoula, MT
I started running barely 4 months post RNY and have not had any nutritional/bloodwork problems.  I eat generally well (some junk sometimes) and exercise with good intensity at a minimum 5 days a week.  I've also maintained my weight for over 3 years, like Rob, and have also done some long distance races.  I go hunting with my husband (we hike for hours and hours and drag everything out by hand), snowmobiling, and all sorts of all-day activities.  I'm also one on this site who has run a marathon, as well as a few halfs, and numerous 10K's.  I'm training for a triathlon that will be in 3 weeks.  These activities have only led me to a mild iron deficiency early in my marathon training, but I took some extra iron and had normal levels in less than 2 weeks.  You do have to listen to what your body is telling you, but these long-distance activities aren't any more difficult for me than other people who haven't had any surgery. I think you should do whatever you think you will be the most successful with and let the nutritionist help you on your way if you find you're having trouble. Linn
seattle_homme
on 3/22/08 4:32 pm - Seattle, WA
Thank you all for posting! This is quite an amazing site. I found Chad's story (http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/kypdurran/blog_page,1/mont h,3/year,2008/action,view/uzone,blog/blog_id,44801/) just wonderful to read. And everyone one here seems to have the same incredible story! It is beautiful. I am really stuck choosing between the surgeries (and yes, Landers is my surgeon, and i *really* wanted the VSG, but insurance won't flip the bill (but they will for the RNY). So, 20 large for the soon to be gold standard? Or free for the current gold standard. Believe it or not, it is still a hard call. At any rate, my fears for the RNY are still: * at 5 years out, having my weight creep back up on me, and having my insides be all cut up. * innability to drink a glass of wine (I guess it depends upon the person). * the permanency of it (vs the lapband which at least feels like you can reverse it, even if you shouldn't) - particularly in old age. * lots of other uncertainties - mainly of the unknown.  At any rate, this isn't the forum for this.  Thanks for your help!
kypdurran
on 3/25/08 1:19 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Yeah.  I'm finding that I'm really going into uncharted territories regarding nutrition and training for the Ironman triathlons that I will be doing in the next 18 months.   All the mantra revolves around carbohydrates for energy during long exercise and pretty much nothing else.  I will be on the course for 14 - 16 hours and there are only so many get packs that I can take before I start to dump.   The trick for me is that I will HAVE to stay aerobic by monitoring my heartrate and making absolutely sure that I stay within my zone.   I am going to somehow have to train my body to utilize protein and fats instead of carbohydrates for energy.   Kinda hard to do since glycogen is friggin sugar.  I have found that I can tolerate Accelerade since it at least has some protein in it. 

I'm doing a quarter Ironman this weekend and I will be experimenting with different foods to see how they work.   I'll only be on this course for around 4 hours but it should give me at least some indication of how my body is reacting to different substances.

Chad.

Most Active