Prominent veins

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/08 10:56 am - Miramar Beach, FL
I've noticed that my veins are much more noticeable since losing weight, especially on my hands.  I tried Google, to see if there's any particular cause, treatment, or prevention.  I didn't find much info, except that Angelina Jolie and Madonna have gotten slammed in the media for the same issue.  So, I guess I have good company!   Anyone know what makes veins become more prominent?  Is it just genetics, or, as some people theorized about Angelina and Madonna, a side effect of vigorous exercise?  If so, is it from cardio or strength training, or both?   Tami
MaryS
on 3/29/08 12:44 am - Long Island, NY
Tami, My veins have also become much more noticeable especially on my forearms. I don't know the cause, I attributed it to the fat not covering them anymore. I have wondered about this as well, and I haven't found anything on this topic either. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

liz A.
on 3/29/08 12:55 am
maybe you just have larger veins.    I've been told I have very small veins.  they always have probs when drawing blood. now my bro in law....you could throw a needle at him from across the room like a dart & hit a vein, they are so noticable.  

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Deanna34
on 3/31/08 4:16 am - Salem, OR
I've got really large veins now too ... I asked my fitness coach at the gym about it and she said it's because when you exercise a lot, you expand your veins with the extra blood pumping and the extra oxygen, etc.  She said "Oh, that is a good thing!"  So I guess our big veins are cool, right??? --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/08 4:24 am - Miramar Beach, FL
Cool?  I dunno.  But, like I said, we're in good company: Big veins go good with the whole Lara Croft outfit, LOL. Tami
Most Active