3 Mile race report.

Scott William
on 3/29/08 3:22 am
There was local 3 mile race this morning.  Why they didn't make it a 5K, I don't know.  It was an out and back course that was fairly hilly.  The first mile was up a sligh incline which was nice because I knew that comming back would be fast with my gut pulling me down the hill.  Another great thing was markers at every 1/4 mile.  Obviously 6 out and 6 back.  That way, I could keep checking my pace.  Using 8 minutes as a barometer I wanted to be a little quicker than 2 minutes per quarter.  Anyway, from one mile to about 1 1/4 mile was down hill.  Nice for now but comming back up might be tough.  1 1/4 to 1.5 was up hill.  Tough for now but nice pay off.   I made the turn and forgot to look at the watch.  Until now, I was doing well with keeping it under 2 minute quarters.  Mile 1.5 to 1.75 was pretty up hill and I think I lost some time there.  My "spare" time was going away.  1.75 to 2 was fairly flat and I was able to pick it back up a little.  That first mile of slight incline was now a major down hill in my head.  I just picked up the pace and killed it.  I am not sure what that split was but 7:10 or 7:20 would be a safe bet.  I didn't even hear my girlfriend (sorry ladies) scream as I passed her near the finish line.  I crossed the line in 23:13 which was a PR since I have never run a 3 mile race before.  Here is the kicker.  I did some quick math.  My pace was 7:44 overall for the race.  If you take that math and add the .1 for the official 5K, I ran 23:59 assuming I could have held on to a 7:44 pace for the last .1.  That was my season goal in my second race of the season.   Here is the bittersweet part.  I went to the gym after and weighed myself.  262!  That is up from my all time low of 237 or my comfortable low of 242.  Time to get back to basics and drop the 20!  I can only imagine the times minus 20 lbs. The after race buffet was huge as advertised.  It was a benefit for a church and those catholics can sure cook.  I won't tempt anyone with details but I could still be there. (hence the 262). I was 47th and 8 in my age group.  I really want these races to start including more clydesdaly divisons but I don't have the guts to ask.  Anyway, for what I saw, I won the over 225 class!!! Great race and I can't wait until next weekend and the West Hartford, CT 1/4 marathon.  I can guarantee that if I finish - another PR.  Never done a 1/4 marathon.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Sporty Jill
on 3/29/08 11:28 pm - Norfolk, VA
As always....YOU RAWK! Thanks for the update!

Certified Personal Trainer

"I'm tough, ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. if that makes me a bitch, okay." - Madonna
Beginning Weight: 265  Current Weight:143 
So I run like a Girl....now keep up! 

MaryS
on 3/30/08 7:18 am - Long Island, NY
Congratulations on the great race! You really did fantastic. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

wjoegreen
on 3/31/08 4:10 am - Colonial Heights, VA

So you are a hustler!! Who was chasing you??? Great time.  How can you be getting so fast and gaining weight?  Buns of steel???

Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Deanna34
on 3/31/08 4:12 am - Salem, OR
Holy crap, Scott!  That is fabulous!!!  You were screaming by everyone, I'm sure!  Don't you just love downhills?  I always run my butt off going downhill and it feels great! Awesome job! --Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

kypdurran
on 4/1/08 8:54 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Good deal man.   23:59 is quick!  :)
Most Active