10k race and 3 lessons

MaryS
on 3/30/08 7:32 am, edited 3/30/08 7:35 am - Long Island, NY
I did a 10k race in Central Park today. I had trouble getting it together this morning and getting out of the house. Rodney (my dh) thought that everything would start clicking for me by the time the race started. It didn't! It was a really hard race for me and I wanted to quit so badly! I ended up doing a decent time for me, I finished the race in 1:09:19 for a pace of 11:10. That was a pleasant surprise. While I was running, I realized that there are 3 things I need to do to ensure a better experience while running. They are basic things, but really stuck me today. First, the one that isn't so easy to accomplish, get more rest. The other two are to drink more water (I was so thirsty this morning) and not to drink alcohol the night before a race. I don't normally drink much but we went out Friday night and had company over for dinner last night so I had more to drink than normal. So, this week I will need to follow my lessons learned to get ready for the 1/2 marathon I am doing next Sunday.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 3/31/08 3:32 am
Like you said, lesson learned but you still finished after really not wanting to.  That is the triumph.  Way to finish. Are there races every weekend in the park.  I read that the NYRR put on 50 races a year so I figured maybe.  Also, do you have to be a NYRR to run them or are there open sign-ups.  I would love to run a race in the park. Thanks
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 3/31/08 11:44 am - Long Island, NY
Thanks for the positive spin! There are races most weekends.  You don't have to be a member to join the races and you can register for most races the day of the event.  All the info is on there website www.nyrr.org.  Let me know if you have any questions.  It is fun running in the park - although the races are getting crowded. 

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active