I have noticed...

Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 3/31/08 2:07 pm, edited 3/31/08 6:51 pm - OH
That alot of weight loss surgery patients become runners. In fact I'm interested myself. I was always the fat kid and the last to finish any kind of running activity. Is this something that will be realistic for me in the future and what should I be doing to try and reach that goal?  I walk alot and get to the gym 3-5 times a week. I have been doing great and have a weightloss of 130 pounds behind me and another 115 to go til goal. A large portion of my loss was prebanding. I have lost 50 since being banded November 14, 2007.
"Your BANDestiny is in your own hands!"
Status: Highest weight 378  Prebanding 299.6 Current Weight 244.2
Scott William
on 3/31/08 2:23 pm
I would think that for most people it was just a natural progression from walking to running.  I know it was for me.  As the weight came off, I would throw in little bits of running until I was running 5K's.  After that it was marathon training and again, it seemed like a natural progression.  When your weight gets to the point where you feel comfortable, throw in some running. There are a lot of programs out there that can help.  Do a search for "couch to 5K" or look up these guys: Hal Higdon Jeff Galloway John Bingham All have running programs for real people.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Dan_P.
on 4/1/08 12:47 am - Baltimore, MD
I run because I can. For the first time since I was 10, I can. It's freeing. Good luck with taking it up if that's what you want to do! -Dan
liz A.
on 4/1/08 1:53 am

"I run because I can." I love that.

chocolate, chocolate, chocolate!  ACK!  
                                    -liz lemon

Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/1/08 11:59 am - OH
Thank you for the infomation. I'll look and see what I can find.
marsheeeee
on 4/1/08 1:16 am - Jackson, MS
Dan, you nailed it!!!  After being the fat kid all my life, it is positively LIBERATING to get out there and run!  (Run???  MOI???)  It's addicting.  I can't wait to get out there again.  (Seratonin is some powerful ... um... stuff, isn't it?) Marcia
Dan_P.
on 4/1/08 3:38 am - Baltimore, MD
2/3 of my life out of the game. I love being back out there again.
Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/1/08 12:00 pm - OH
So how did you guys make the transition? any advice for someone who would like to be where you are today?
MaryS
on 4/1/08 11:06 pm - Long Island, NY

It is a total thrill to be able to run.  I always dreamed of running the NYC marathon, but never would dare to tell anyone when I was overweight.   I was lucky enough that my body held up under the running.  Some people I know would love to run, but problems with knees, back, etc prevent them from being able to run.  If you body holds up to the stress, it is definetely realistic for you to run.

Scott listed some great resources for getting started.  Also, you might want to start with small intervals when you walk.  For example, walk 5 min, run 30 seconds and repeat.  Gradually you would decrease the time walking and increase the time running.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Im2Seksi4MyFat
on 4/2/08 2:16 pm - OH
Thank you. I appreciate your input. I have built up to walking at a very fast pace and do sprints in between while on the track at the gym. I also try to build up my speed while on the treadmill. My body seems to be handling it very well.  Before I could have never have done anything like I am now. I no longer have knee or back pain. There was a time when I couldn't even roll myself over in bed without holding onto the headboard and pulling myself with my arms. Now when I'm in bed I  have dreams about running.
Most Active