Quarter Marathon Report

Scott William
on 4/5/08 5:09 am
This morning was the Hartford, CT 1/4 marathon.  It was 6.554 miles of "rolling" hills.  In all fairness, I had run the course before so I knew what I was getting into.  There was one really big hill and lots of other ups and downs.   The course was two loops around a reservoir and was a real pretty run. My goal was to run 59.59.  I figured that with a 10K PR of 56 and change, that would be good.  That would also be about a 9:10 pace for the course.   The first mile was way too quick.  I went through the mile mark at 8:17 and actually said, "Oh ****", out loud.  Even with a shorter race, starting out that quickly could spell trouble.  The second mile was where the big hill was.  I ran up it and passed a few people on the hill.  The good news was that by the 1.5 mile mark, the course was either pretty much flat or down hill.  I went through the two mile mark in 17:21 which must have been a 9:04 mile.  That was better as far as pace goes but still, with the hill was probably too fast.  I cruised down the hill on the otherside and passed the 5K mark at 27 minutes.   That was about where I wanted to be but I felt like ****  I have a head cold and some gastric issues.  Perhaps even running today was asking a little much.  I passed the finish line without getting lapped which was another goal.  I stopped for some water that my girlfriend was holding because the water they had on the course doesn't work with me.  Mile 4 I felt like I got back on pace a little .  I ran that in just over 9 minutes so the pace was again fine.  Mile 5 had the big hill again.  My plan all along was to walk that hill.  I did but didn't lose much because my fast walk was almost as quick as their slow hill run.  After I got to the top, I ran for a bit and did something I have not done before in a race. I quit.  My stomach was churning and my head hurt.  My pace was slowing and it was getting hot.  I said, "screw it, I'll walk it in".  The good news was that after a few minutes, I felt a little better and decided I could jog it in.  I picked up the pace as the big down hill approached.  When I saw that I had 13 minutes to run the last 1.55 miles, I figured that I could still do it.  What's 13 minutes of misery?  Well, to make a long story short, I did it.  I hammered the last 1.55 miles and finished the race in 59:41 for a 9:07 pace.  I then promptly went behind a structure and tried to puke.  I could only muster some foam the the puking sensation went away. I was 215 out of 311 (sometimes you show up and finish in the top 1/4 and sometimes the good runners show up and you finish in the botton 1/3. I was 10 out of 19 in the clydesdale divison.  That pissed me off because there was no one there heavier than I was.  No one that I saw anyway.  I think they used the 190 weight class.  Also, there were no scales so who knows. The post race food was very good.  Lots of sweets though.  Overall, It was a good race.  If I wasn't suck a wussy, it would have been better but I can't blame the race for that.  I'd do it again.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
kypdurran
on 4/5/08 5:17 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Great report Scott!  They can't all be good days man and I feel your pain about gastric issues.   Both of my last 2 races (triathlon last weekend and a 10K the week before) I spent a copious amount of time in the port-o-lets on the course.  
Scott William
on 4/5/08 5:59 am
I guess that I should get used to it.  It seems to happen in most of my longer races. Thanks man.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 4/5/08 11:54 am - Missoula, MT
Thanks for the report!  I like hearing them also. I, too feel your pain.  I had 7 potty stops during my marathon and pretty bad cramps for a lot of the race.  I generally do OK with a 10K or less, but not always. Great time/pace!  I'm not that fast yet, but hoping to be soon. Linn
MaryS
on 4/6/08 9:08 am - Long Island, NY
Scott, Good for you for pushing through - I am just amazed (and jealous) about the times you are able to make. Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Dan_P.
on 4/7/08 12:42 am - Baltimore, MD
Scott. Making the decision to quit and actually quitting are two very different things. You didn't quit and shouldn't think that you did. Congrats for pushing on.
frueta
on 4/7/08 11:24 am
Good run Scott.  You definitely were NOT a wussy, you ran not feeling your best,  finished and to top it off made your goal. 
Most Active