How do i get started

thisismeisthatu
on 6/29/11 6:49 am, edited 6/29/11 4:50 am - OK
If any one has advice to get started on a good routine i would love to hear it i am trying to do arm excersize oh yeah and i do the ab lounge so thats cool i think but what else ?
mcarthur01
on 6/29/11 10:25 am - Cumming, GA
depends on your goals, there are limitless possibilities.  most of us simply started off walking (i know i did) and built from there.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

pamkb
on 6/29/11 9:33 pm - Crestview, FL
that's what I did as well (and still am); build a baseline of cardio and then add from there.  I believe that when you are just starting, it isn't so much how much you do or the intensity but consistency is key; get it to where it becomes a habit and then build and try new things based on your individual goals ie weightloss, strength train, flexibility etc.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

crystal M.
on 6/29/11 10:23 pm - Joliet, IL
I also started off walking.  When I first started exercising I was 285 lbs and wayyyy out of shape.  I mean I would be sweating bullets after 10 minutes of walking at 2.5 mph.  I did that for 30 minutes.  Every week I would increase the time and speed.  Now I run and walk.  Pretty soon...hopefully will be only running.  I also started on weights right away.  I understand wanting to focus on problem areas but I think the best overall thing to do with weight is to work each muscle group.  That way you get an overall muscle workout.  I do upper body one and switch to lower body the next.  Remember to start off slow and build.  You don't want to burn your self out or injure your self.  Good luck. 
Kim S.
on 6/30/11 1:20 am - Helena, AL
I was 324 lbs and out of shape when I started, but I started out with walking on the treadmill and using the weight machines.  Then I built my program from there.

The key, as Pam said, is at first be consistent.  Carve out your time everyday so it becomes a habit.  Then it really becomes a "drug" and you just want more and more!

Best to you as you begin a healthy lifestyle!  Keep us posted on your progress.

Kim

Most Active