"Animal deterrent spray"

Tom C.
on 7/12/11 6:47 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Recently I began running during the very early morning hours when it’s still dark. I live in an area that has many “wild animals" (raccoons, deer, foxes, BEARS). Being a NY City boy at heart, the only fear I have in running into a bear.  

Someone recommend running with a hand-held mace spray? So here is my silly question, can anyone recommend a good “spray" that would be a good defense from these “natural residents"?

Someone also suggested running with "bear bells", but I never heard of this. Any comments?

Thanks in advanced.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
crystal M.
on 7/12/11 10:17 pm - Joliet, IL
Hey there Tom

My daughter did an internship at The Smoky Mountain National Park two years ago.  Well as you can imagine they are given "bear spray" because the area is known for bears.  So here is the exact product my daughter was given to use when she was an intern.

http://www.pepper-spray-store.com/products/bear-pepper-spray .shtml

Hope you never have to use it. 
Kim S.
on 7/12/11 11:59 pm - Helena, AL
Bear bells?  I don't think so....I'd go with the spray, and pray you never have to use it.  The only wildlife I come upon on my trail is snakes, squirrels and chipmunks.

pamkb
on 7/13/11 1:13 am - Crestview, FL
I also run very early mornings and live in a neighborhood that backs up to federal protected wetlands so wildlife are abundant, including small black bears.   I carry a small pepper spray that is held by elasticized band on my wrist.  I also carry a tiny LED flashlight.  I am no so concerned about the bears, as long as they are not feeding, they prefer flight to fight.  I give WIDE berth to trash bins left at curbside on trash pickup days though.  I am more concerned with foxes (if sick), dogs and such who might give chase.  Just be careful if you ever have to use pepper/mace spray up high or at arms length - make sure you know which direction the wind is blowing.

I don't recommend bear bells; different science studies shows that bears are as ambivalent about the sounds of bells as they are cars and horns but if you do decide to wear them early in the morning, all your neighbors will know it and all their dogs will let them know you are out there.  There will be no peace and quiet on your runs.

I am creating my own revolution and PAMdemonium reigns!

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

1st 5k time 40:34 (Dec 2013)

MacMadame
on 7/13/11 4:48 am - Northern, CA
Where I live, the Canadian Geese make bears look tame. LOL (Bears are okay as long as you don't turn around and run and you don't get between them and their kids.)

I have learned to run like an angry goose so they get out of my way. (I put out my elbows which causes my arms to flap and I bob my head too.) Before that, they'd stand put and hiss at me.

I also worry about dogs that are off leash and deer. The rest I'm not so worried about.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

pamkb
on 7/14/11 7:18 am - Crestview, FL
"I have learned to run like an angry goose so they get out of my way. (I put out my elbows which causes my arms to flap and I bob my head too.)"

This cracked me up when I read it and this morning during my run I thought about it as well.  Just for giggles, I gave it a try (after making sure the road was empty behind me) and just about fell from laughing and trying to run like an angry goose.  Gawd, I wish I could watch you do this.

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

Judi J.
on 7/13/11 5:45 am - MN
ditto on the pepper spray. It is what the Bear Center in Ely, MN recommends but most black bears will run from you. We had a coyote problem around here, IN TOWN. We found a keychain size pepper spray just in case.
mcarthur01
on 7/13/11 7:51 am - Cumming, GA
i don't run with pepper spray, but i have it mounted on my bike for dog attacks.   i'm pretty sure the model i have is meant for running because it has stretchy velcro for your hands.  i got it at my local running store, sorry don't remember the brand.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Tom C.
on 7/13/11 9:30 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Doing one MASSIVE THANKS to EVERYONE *****plied. VERY VERY HELPFUL!! I can now jog with a little piece of mind.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
pamkb
on 7/14/11 7:22 am - Crestview, FL

you're welcome.  I wanted to share a bear/athlete story with you that just happened not too far from where I live.  Pepper spray not needed but it illustrates that we have some strange encounters when we are on the roads at odd hours.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/bear-41683-collides-felt.ht ml?plckFindCommentKey=CommentKey:71107f37-9e53-4ad6-bd05-92a 0aebc42a8

RNY 11/16/2010

SW 270, CW 155, GW 135

Most Active