Running a marathon after WLS

tammym
on 12/26/12 8:25 am - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I had VBG in 2001, failed to lose much weight, and had a revision to RNY a year ago. I lost the weight this time, but I'm afraid of gaining it back. I signed up for a marathon next year, and I've been training.

The marathon is 9 months away. Currently I'm running 3-7 miles, 3-4 days a week. I am following a training schedule that will get me up to 26 miles just in time for the race. I'm worried about how to get the carbs necessary to finish a marathon. I've read that in a marathon, your body runs out of stored glucose after 90 minutes. It should take me 5-6 hours to run the marathon, so clearly I'm going to have to learn to take in high carb foods before the race. 

Are there any WLS marathoners here that can give me some advice? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Carol S.
on 12/27/12 10:56 am - Milwaukee, WI

I train too-no Marathon yet-just a half.  I use Gu, and other supplements that are carbs.  Some of the runners I know (non WLS) use honey.  I don't tolerate that well-the Gu, the Jelly Belly beans for runners, etc. I do.  If I'm running more than 15 miles I usually take a protein bar with me.  Trial and error.

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

KittenLove
on 12/27/12 9:49 pm - Around Knoxville, TN
It's trial and error to be honest. I'm a GU w/caffeine girl. Timing is essential. Wait too late and it's hard to catch it.

With this much training time, you should have enough long runs to practice what works best with your system (tolerances), etc.

This sounds crazy but marathon training is a different beast. If you're going to regularly participate in endurance sports, most of the WLS rules go out the window

Be happy. 

tammym
on 12/27/12 10:38 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

Thanks for your help! I'm going to find out what kind of GU they use at the race and try that one first. 

jwc10s
on 12/28/12 12:40 am

You do not need to focus in on high carb foods, but you do need to get your nutrition down. I suggest working closely with your nutritionist to make this happen. Personally, I use GU's and Stingers for the food prtion, and then use G2 Gatorade for the fluid portion, others use a variety of different combinations, but you have to find out what works best for you. Along with the trial and error portions comes the be near a restroom when you first start trying the process. You never know how your body will react to the intake.

A number of us here on the site train for marathons, triathlons, ultra distance races, tough mudders, etc.. We have all been where you are now, and are excited for you. Keep up the good work, and success will follow.

Jay

First 5K 5/21/2011 00:48:24

First 13 mile run 02:31:39 10/30/2011

5K Race PR 24:38 5/2013
First TRIATHLON 1:48:37 5/7/2012
Augusta Ironman 70.3 6:54:67
Half Marathon PR 1:55:39 6/8/2013 Bootlegger Half Marathon

Paul C.
on 12/31/12 12:30 am - Cumming, GA
As others have said you will probably need to rely on some sort of gel or similar type product. There are a number on the market and you just have to find the one that works for you. Some are based on a different sugar so your body may react to each one differently. I have no problems with Maldextrose so I can use GU and GU Roctane all day whee others have issue with it. When you go into training for an endurance event it becomes more than just training for the miles. You really train for the whole race.

Nutrition both pre-race and during race
Hydration. You are going to probably sweat a ton and need to replace both the fluids and electrolytes.
Recovery, how to eat/what to eat/when to eat.

It is totally worth it in the long run but just know you have time to dial these in, just don't ignore the small things or you will be in a world of hurt.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active