Anyone ready for a bike ride??

cabin111
on 3/27/14 2:47 am

For some of you who are ready...Yeah, I know you're not completely there weight wise...But Spring is here!!  It's time to get out the bicycle!!  Borrow one from friends, family, or neighbors.  If you need help, find someone who can adjust the seat and handlebars for you.  There are many bike paths in most areas.  Also the local college may be a good time to ride on the weekends.  Google maps even has bike paths located in your area.  Get a good lock (that locks the frame and both wheels) if you are going to run errands. 

I run errands on my bike more than anything.  Many times I'll just do my loops around the neighborhood.  Consider riding to work or school if it's not too far.  I would do the bike and bus thing for a few years on good weather days.  Below is a copy and paste about doing the bike and bus from my local bus system...Yours may vary.

So what do you say?? Are you ready to take the plunge...

Bike & Ride Program
Bus with bike racks               You pay your Fare....  Your Bike rides Free!

Stanislaus Regional Transit allows bikes on all buses. It’s easy and convenient, whether you’re loading onto one of our new front loading bike racks or loading your bike inside the bus. You can download this information by clicking here - Bike & Ride Program PDF.

Our racks are designed to keep your bike away from the bus and other bikes…and loading takes less than 20 seconds.

So if you’re on your way to work, school, or the bike trails, you and your bike will get there together in style!

How to use Exterior Bike Racks
Cyclists are responsible for loading, securing, and unloading their own bikes. If you have any questions, please ask the driver. Bike racks are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Each rack accommodates two bikes of most sizes and styles.

Loading Your Bike

1. When the bus approaches and stops, have your bike ready to go.

2. Let the driver know that you will be loading a bike and prepare to load your bike. Always load your bike from the curbside.

3. If the bike rack is in the upright position, release it by pulling up on the lever and slowly lower the rack down. You only need to use one hand. There is no need to lean your bike against the bus.

4. Lift your bike on to the rack and fit the wheels into the proper slots.
    Each wheel slot is clearly labeled for the front and rear tire.

Photo 1 - Loading bike

Photo 2 - Loading bike

1. Raise the support arm off the rack and over the front tire. A spring will pull the arm down securely latching it to your bike.
  1. Board the bus and enjoy the ride. You pay only your regular fare….the bike rides free!
Photo 3 - Loading bike

Unloading Your Bike

Photo 4 - Unloading bike
  1. When the bus approaches the stop, tell the driver you’ll
    be removing your bike.
  2. Unload your bike from the curbside. Do not step into the traffic lane.
  3. Raise the support arm off the tire.
  4. Lift your bike out of the wheel slots.
  5. Fold up the rack if there are no other bikes on the rack.
    Move away from the bus with your bike.

General Rules & Requirements
StaRT may at anytime alter the rules and conditions of the Bike and Ride Program. Current regulations may be obtained from the StaRT administrative offices.
  • Cyclists are responsible for loading, securing and unloading their bikes in a safe and timely manner.
  • No motorized bikes will be allowed.
  • Bike trailers are not permitted on bike racks or inside the bus.
  • Cyclists must secure their bikes in the bike racks. Securement arms are provided and must be used to hold the bike in place during travel.
  • Bikes cannot be loaded onto external racks from dus****il dawn, because they impede bus headlight visibility.
  • If the exterior rack is full, then additional bikes may be stored in the wheelchair designated seat area of the bus. Have your bike ready to go when the bus approaches. Allow other passengers to exit and enter before loading a bike. Ask the driver for a securement strap and position your bike into one of the wheelchair tie-down areas. Secure the bike frame with the securement strap. Cyclists must stay with their bikes and keep the aisle clear. When you arrive at your destination, return the securement strap to the driver. If safety issues arise, this convenience may be suspended.
  • If the bus is full or the wheelchair tie-down areas are occupied and cannot accommodate bikes, please honor the driver’s request and board the next available bus.
  • If a bike is in a wheelchair space and a person who uses a wheelchair boards the bus, the owner of the bike will be requested to remove the bike. This may require the bike owner to get off the bus.
  • Reservations are needed for bikes on Dial-A-Rides. When making a reservation for Dial-A-Ride, indicate that you will also have a bike.
 Responsibility
Bike racks are provided as a convenience to bus riders. Stanislaus Regional Transit is not responsible for the theft or loss of bikes, or damages incurred or caused to bikes while on the transit system or at a bus stop, or during loading and unloading of the bike, or injury to the cyclist loading or unloading a bike. Cyclist will be responsible for any damages caused by the cyclist or bike while loading or unloading the bike, and if they fail to secure the bike on the rack or in the bus correctly.

If a bike is in a wheelchair space and a person who uses a wheelchair boards the bus, the owner of the bike will be requested to remove the bike. This may require the bike owner to get off the bus.

Remember to get your bike off the rack when you exit.

cabin111
on 3/27/14 2:54 am

Just a reminder...You go to Google, then you click on maps on the upper right hand side.  Type in your city or area. You'll find a drop down menu...Then just click on bicycling.  It will show you in green where the bike paths and bike lanes are for that area. 

If you have a problem with a bicycle, consider an adult tricycle.  The other day I saw a woman who looked to be over 200 pounds riding a trike doing her errands (basket in the back).  I was so proud of her and her effort...Not worrying what society might think.  She did what she could, with what she had.

Don J.
on 3/28/14 1:19 am - Garner, IA

I know I am!

Come out to Iowa the last week of July and join us for RAGBRAI!

HW 349/CW 197 

5K - Race with the Stars - 29:46 (11/03/12) . 13.1 - Spirit of Survival-Lawton, OK  - 2:30:16 (10/7/12) . Route 66 Tulsa Marathon. 6:19:15 (11/18/12)

BigPoppa22
on 4/11/14 12:47 pm
RNY on 03/21/14

I got my bike down to ride yesterday and have a flat tire. 

Most Active