Half marathon training: how to support calorie needs

michellemj
on 3/31/14 12:03 am

I'm a sleever (had surgery 3.5 yrs ago). and I've been talked into running a half marathon. It's quickly approaching (May 17! yikes!) and I'm trying to figure out how to support calorie needs, both pre runs and during runs as the mileage is increasing, but I don't want to add any weight and would still like to lose if possible.

Non-surgery folks just pound pasta pre race and suck down those gels during, but those ain't gonna work for me. Even if I wanted to eat pasta, I have serious issues with gluten and it makes me feel quite ill. and gels will most def cause reactive hypoglycemia in me. So far, I've experimented with rice (same issues as pasta) and sweet potatoes (appears to work), but open to more suggestions. Post workout/race, I make sure to drink a protein shake as soon as possible.

So, has anyone tried Honey Stingers as a gel alternative? or real food (like dates or something)? I'm def. dying energy wise around the 7-8 mile mark.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

nfarris79
on 3/31/14 11:40 am - Germantown, MD

In training for my first half-marathon, I experimented alot with food (all types of gels, sport beans, natural sources like prunes/raisins) during training runs, and found that I really don't need much during a race less than 15mi, but sport beans/chomps are pretty good for taking in less amounts as needed, over a longer time vs something that you take in one hit. GU hits my pouch pretty hard but does me ok when I really need it during marathon training. Most important to me is the pre-race nutrition.... increasing fats 10days before and increasing carbs 3 days before. Long distance runners don't really NEED to pound the pasta, but whether bariatric or not, need to learn their bodies and pre-fuel wisely. One major pointer I'll suggest is try your experimentation around long runs AND be very gentle on your system the day before. I usually stick to protein shakes, greek yogurt,  and lean protein the day before.... For not-pooping-myself-mid-run reasons. Good luck!! :)

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

kaytiebugs
on 4/3/14 7:16 am - Flowery Branch, GA

Keep training, your stamina and energy will get better. My hubby is a big runner. He'll go run a half marathon around our neighborhood/area just for exercise. He has never used anything besides protein shakes.

Racewalker48
on 4/7/14 8:46 am
RNY on 02/17/14

Have you considered prepackaged peanut butter crackers?  You get some carbs and some protein to keep you going at the halfway point.  Also, pretzels (with the salt) may help.  Dates could help, you still need to see how you react as they have natural sugars.  I used Cliff Shot Blocks with caffeine during my marathon training days,  but also ate pretzels.  You really have to experiment during training (avoid trying new stuff on race day, in case you have a bad reaction).  i have not tried honey stingers, so can't give feedback on them.  You are wise to take a protein shake post race.  Good luck to you!  

Most Active