I Love Walking But Developed Bad Foot Pain! Sesamoiditis!

MindyMac51
on 8/27/14 11:11 am, edited 8/27/14 11:16 am

RNY 11/2/2010

Hi all,

I've been walking 3-4 miles just about every day this summer and loving it!!! I woke up yesterday with sharp pain in the ball of my right foot.  All day yesterday there was a constant throbbing and sharp stabbing pain whenever I walked or touched certain spots of the inflamed area. Massaging, stretching, a hot bath helped a little, but not much. It was even worse when I woke up today. 

I was lucky to get an appointment with a podiatrist early this morning. She diagnosed it as sesamoiditis,  inflammation of the sesamoids, two small bones just below the big toe joint, along with the surrounding tendons. She noted that I have very high arches and this caused pressure on the ball of the foot, and inflammation. This happened even though I stretched well before and after my walks, often walked on a cushioned track, and wore good New Balance walking shoes.

The podiatrist gave me a cortisone injection and fitted me with orthotics ($65, but much better than the kind you can get at the pharmacy). Now several hours later, the foot is still a bit sore when I walk, but it's getting better by the hour. 😊  I need to rest the feet for at least 2-3 more days, and then I should be able to get back to my "normal" walking routine with orthotics in place. 😀

Lesson learned: if you want to do a LOT of walking or running as part of your weight loss program, AND IF YOU HAVE VERY HIGH ARCHES, be sure to wear good shoes, stretch the calves, ankles, and feet a LOT, and get fitted with a good pair of orthotics from a podiatrist or other reliable source. 

cabin111
on 8/29/14 9:21 am

I have a bad back...I took up the bicycle.  Depending where you are, it can be real fun.  Hills not so much fun.  The local college, university, or even high school can be a fun ride... 

TGeiger
on 9/2/14 10:44 pm - Lafayette, LA

Yes you are right, our workout shoes really contributes for any foot problems. Thanks for a heads up! It helps among fitness enthusiasts.

Your Personal training coach in Lafayette, LA. Subscribe to my Free Training Tidbits

Most Active