Protein switch up question!

Beyl689
on 9/15/14 10:00 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13

After you reached your goal weight and were in the gym pretty often (3-5 days per week) did you change the type of protein you used? I know the whey isolate is used when losing weight because it digests quickly but if you're working out trying to build muscle should you switch to a different protein like whey concentrate or casein on workout days? Just curious!

dustin807
on 9/23/14 2:26 am

In my experience with building muscle, the type of protein supplement you consume doesn't make a noticeable difference in muscle gain. Even given that statement, I would advise you to stay away from soy protien as some studies have shown soy to be detrimental to natural testosterone levels. And any time you are trying to build muscle (male or female) you want as much testosterone as you can get.

So to answer your question, I don't believe you should switch to a different protein like whey concentrate or casein on workout days. I don't think it is a good or bad option, I just don't believe it will make any difference either way. I follow many strength athletes and related communities and this is not a practice employed by anyone trying to gain muscle or build strength. Most of those guys will tell you that the most important thing to do when trying to build muscle is really to just eat more calories than you need.

If your whey isolate digests quickly, then I wouldn't change it because it can be very difficult to find protein supplements that agree with your stomach and digestability is a huge plus. That would be like asking someone, "Hey I found something that works really well, do you think I should change it?"

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/14 1:45 am - GA

Hello and great question. Although whey protein does get into the system quicker doesn't make it more effective or better or not better than the other proteins listed. At the end of the day basically all the proteins are designed to build muscle. As long as you are getting the required amount of protein a day the type of protein has no barring on your exercise program. If the whey protein you are using has been working well for you no need to change.

MacMadame
on 9/27/14 8:09 am - Northern, CA

Short answer: no. 

Long answer: There are a lot of misconceptions about protein. For example, whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate are the same type of protein. They are both whey protein. The difference between isolate and concentrate is in how they are manufactured. Isolate uses extremely high heat and as a result more of the lactose from the milk is removed during the process. Concentrate doesn't use as high a heat (which some people think is good) and is cheaper to make. It does have more lactose mixed in because of this though. However, most manufacturers add additional flavors and other ingredients to the powders so sometimes the differences between a power made with isolate vs. concentrate are minimal.

Casein is a slow digesting protein. It will ball up in the stomach and make a gel and that is fine if you are drinking a glass of milk after dinner. But many people find they have to be careful of what they consume near exercise and find casein protein too hard to digest if taken too close to exercise including immediately afterwards.

Personally, I like to mix up my proteins. I eat meat, poultry, fish, eggs and beans in my meals and snack on nuts, eggs and dairy. For my protein shakes, I alternate between whey and a vegan shake (all plant based proteins). Soy is in a lot of things so I don't deliberately eat it -- I figure I get enough of it just by eating prepared foods (it's in some protein bars and powders) and foods other people make.

That covers pretty much all the bases!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/14 12:16 am - France

I think the amount of protein consumed is more important than the brand, muscle gain also depends on your type of training. So if you want to earn some extra muscle you have to change all that 

Most Active