What works the best ?

curlygreen1996
on 9/24/14 3:23 pm - Lawrenceville, IL

I am still in the pre-op stages :(

But I have a couple question about exercise.

1.What can you do the first 6 weeks post-op ?

2. What can you do after that time frame (is there restrictions) ?

3. The best kind of exercise ?

nfarris79
on 9/25/14 11:02 pm - Germantown, MD

Your surgeon should spell out restrictions in the first few weeks/months, but generally there are restrictions on lifting things >10lbs and no swimming in a specific time frame. As far as the best kind of exercise, it's really individual. Whatever gets you and KEEPS you moving, that you enjoy over the long haul, is the best kind. Try out a bunch of stuff over the next couple years if you really are starting from scratch. I'd never would have been able to predict, preop, that I would love running but here I am at over 3 years postop - - a certified running fool!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

(deactivated member)
on 9/26/14 12:52 am - GA

Of course always follow the doctors timetable regarding exercise. Post-op its really important to pace yourself and not jump back into exercise to quickly. You have to make sure your body is healed and ready for the stress of exercise. Start off slow with the exercise and gradually build yourself up. There are several programs which may be good. I recommend chair exercising which will get your body use to movements instead of normal everyday walking. There is Zumba chair exercising, chair boxing and Chair-A-Cise a chair exercise weight loss and toning program. Whichever program you choose remember to take it slow. Hope this helps.

MacMadame
on 9/27/14 8:14 am - Northern, CA

It's really important to walk right after surgery to prevent blood clots. Depending, you may only be able to walk at first. I was cleared to do pretty much whatever I wanted by 3 weeks but of course there were lifting restrictions for longer than that. I didn't feel comfortable doing anything that stressed my core for the first 2 months but I started a running program around 1 month out and was able to swim as soon as my incisions healed.

In the beginning I tried all sorts of things until I figured out what I liked to do. Now I mostly swim, bike, run, lift weights and sometimes I do water aerobics.

One thing I do recommend is to start a strength program as soon as you can. Strength training is key to burning fat and making sure your metabolism doesn't stay screwed up forever.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

kristinmoussa
on 10/2/14 6:07 am

Walking is good but don't overdo it. Also, it is not good to life any kind of weights. I could not pick up my son for a while because he was over 10lbs. In the first six weeks, it is typical to take it easy and see how you feel. Walking is okay but again - keeping it in perspective - not too much because you will already be exhausted by the limited intake of nutrients.

After 6 weeks, they suggest that you build up slowly because you are still in transition and will get tired, but it is more about the process. I would definitely suggest speaking with your surgical team (doctors and nurses) during follow up and I'm sure they will give you more clarity as well.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Kristin

cabin111
on 10/3/14 12:44 pm

Ditto on the lifting and walking.  I thought I would (post op) go into things like tennis, racquetball, golf, basketball...Things like that post op.  I went from sport to sport till I found my niche.  I have back problems so I could not handle the pounding of most sport.  I finally decided on walking and the bicycle.  Those for me personally were the best...Others may vary.  Many people who have found the new weight loss want to take on a 5K.  There are apps and online programs (Couch to 5K) that are popular to train for one.  On the 5K's, if you can't run the whole thing, don't sweat it.  You are not a failure if you can only run some of it or have to walk the whole thing. Just getting out and competing is the main thing...try and better your efforts.  You are doing this for your health...Pushing yourself for a better body and longer life...Not in a race with others.

2 other things on the weight loss.  Men and younger women tend to loose the weight faster...In general (don't flame me on that one).  If you get the RNY or DS surgery you may loose some muscle mass.  Not a lot, but it probably will happen.  You will be losing the weight so fast that along with the fat will come some muscle.  When you are in rapid weight loss you will get into an issue with your energy level dropping.  You may try and grab for it, but it just won't be there.  The energy level does comes back after many months, and when you have stabilized on your weight.  But during the rapid weight loss you are using fat cells (really glycogen), cycled from your liver.  You may find your energy lacking as you exercise...Again, don't worry...The energy level comes back.  One last thing...Know the signs of dehydration.  Dehydration is the # 1 reason WLS patients return to the hospital.  If you are exercising hard and start to show the signs (which you will look up after reading this), you can be aware and take it easy if necessary.  So, "patience grasshopper" concerning the healing process...Then "go get'em tiger" when you are released for full exercise.  Brian  PS  Working the core (core exercises) are important too...But that is a whole 'nother issue...  

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/14 5:12 am

Swimming is the best kind of exercise.....:)

David147
on 3/16/15 8:45 pm

I would have to say running. Although, any kind of exercise can help you lost weight. The amount of dedication placed upon the exercise will determine how fast you lose the weight. Now, don't forget about the healthy eating as well. Exercising will use a lot of your body's energy, thus needing plentiful nutrients to be consumed! Along with lots of the good ole' H2O. Haha.

Just try to exercise for at least 30-45 minutes during an exercise period. It is always good to workout at least 3-4 days during the week, more if you can put it in your schedule. : )

Just put your mind in the zone and go for it! Losing weight also requires a positive mindset! Just keep that goal in your mind and achieve it! : )

Good luck!

Most Active