OH Community Help: How do you stay active during the cold winter months?

Sarahlicious
on 1/5/15 5:27 am - Portsmouth, OH

With the start of the New Year many of us are refocusing on health, but with cold temperatures, ice and snow the weather can often interfere with exercise plans.

How do you stay active during the winter months? Do you brave the cold temps to exercise outdoors? Do you have a favorite workout DVD or YouTube channel for at home exercise? Share your tips with others!

*We will turn this topic into a blog post with some of your helpful tips to further help the OH Community on their journey. Please note that ObesityHelp Blog posts are shared via social media.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Stacy_WLS
on 1/5/15 6:34 am

If I am housebound, I blast music and have a dance party w/ my kiddo :)

Also I have yoga podcasts that I can do from anywhere.

and I am lucky enough to have a gym in my office, so I hit that everyday at lunch!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Sarahlicious
on 1/6/15 8:23 am - Portsmouth, OH

Have you seen Heartfelt Yoga? http://www.heartfeltyoga.com/

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Sandie E.
on 1/5/15 8:45 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

I go to the gym and I walk around the covered part of the building at work and of course play with the kiddos.  :)

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

TomN
on 1/5/15 9:07 am
RNY on 12/27/12 with

Gym at work five to six days a week for at least five miles and supplement with T-25 at home a few days a week along with stretching daily.  My rule is no running outside unless it hits 50!  Love the gym treadmills with TV and the regular crowd is supportive as well...good luck!

billmacc7
on 1/5/15 11:33 am - MA

I try to exercise OUTSIDE as much as possible but if the cold is too much I have a YMCA membership and take parts in all types of exercises to include running; spinning; swimming; weight lifting; Boot Camp; Body Pump and Cardio Kick boxing...whatever I do I try to move it move it!!

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/5/15 11:58 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I like exercising at the gym, mostly bike riding & using the weights, occasionally use the treadmill & will consider taking some of the yoga classes there.

On days I can't make it to the gym, I'll use the exercise bike I have at home & am thinking of buying the Kinect sensor for X box so I can play active games/dance in the house.

Other times I walk around the station at work, or do a perimeter walk/inspection around the station., & try to get my 10 thousand steps in for the day.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Lyss Remaly
on 1/6/15 12:44 am - Wheeling, IL

Cold weather doesn't stop me from hitting the gym 7 days a week.  I have the insanity DVDs that I use for my cardio in my basement each morning.  After work I hit the gym.  I LOVE winter because I can wear bulky clothes and work hard on my body composition...come summer....oh the bathing suits are a very exciting time finally for me. 

Sarahlicious
on 1/6/15 8:25 am - Portsmouth, OH

Our local gym closes in bad weather, depending on the severity they follow the alerts, certain level they are open, next they are open but cancel group classes, next totally closed so good to have a back up. Thanks for the suggestions!

cabin111
on 1/6/15 8:38 am, edited 1/6/15 8:39 am

I live in CA...It hit 65 degrees today...I had to suffer through it, but I managed!!  I rode my bike today (doctor's office and Wendy's Chili).  I ride my bike most days here.  When it is raining outside I will put on some music and just walk around the house, my little paths...30-45 minute.  I will add some jogging to it.  I will sometimes pick up a 2-3 pound weight and move it around my body while I'm walking.  You don't need a weight...Just use a can or anything that weights 2-4 pounds...Put it over your head, move it around your back, hold it in front of you...Be creative.  During my walk I will come up to a kitchen counter and do modified pushups too.  I will also punch and kickbox the air.  No one is watching (it looks strange to an outsider)...But it works for me.  Brian

Most Active