new Fitbit user

XMusicJunkieX
on 1/8/15 9:06 am - CA

HI everyone! I just bought a fit bit today. I've synced it with myfitnesspal, which I've used forever and love love love. Any fit it tips?

Katie Bee
HW347/SW322/CW253/GW150
Surgery date: September 28th, 2011     

Waytogo2015
on 1/11/15 10:44 am - Canada

I have been researching the FitBit and i will be a new user and also look for any info

Bonroxie19
on 1/11/15 12:17 pm

Hi there, 

i have used different fit bits and right now am using the surge.  The newest one.  Love it.  The one thing I would say is to take the number of calories burned with a grain of salt.  Every fitbit other then surge count your arm movement as a step.  I found when working with a training if I was lifting weights that counted as a step so my steps at the end of the day would not be correct.   I do not use the calories listed by my fitbit as extra calories to eat per day.   

Bonnie RNY 2/11/15 by Dr. Takahaski

5'3" SW 230 pounds, GW per Dr. Takahaski 150 pounds, CW 132 pounds (10/1/17)

BMI 19% Bod Pod test 1/29/17 13.1 mile half marathon, 1 hour 59 mins (8/21/2017)

Pamela B.
on 1/13/15 11:13 pm
VSG on 07/31/12

My hubby bought me the Fitbit Flex for Christmas.  I am hoping that it will motivate me.  I was looking at your stats XMusicJunkieX, and it looks like we are in about the same place.  I am 2.5 years out and still pretty far from my goal weight.  I am looking for a fitbit friend that I can work with if you are interested.

XMusicJunkieX
on 1/18/15 2:33 am - CA

Hi Pamela. I'd love to be your fitbit buddy. We can keep each other motivated! Add me. My username is xmusicjunkiex and my email is [email protected].

Katie Bee
HW347/SW322/CW253/GW150

Pamela B.
on 1/18/15 6:34 am
VSG on 07/31/12

Request sent!  I am looking forward it.  I don't know about you but I have been so frustrated being 2.5 years out and so far from where I wanted to be.  I keep seeing posts with "I am 7 months out and 5 pounds from goal" and like that and it can be so depressing.  

XMusicJunkieX
on 1/18/15 12:42 pm - CA

Yes I feel your pain 100% about being so far out and still a little less than 100 lbs from goal. Did you fall off the wagon for a while? Plateau like crazy? I had a very very dramatic wedding and divorce all within a span of a year, so that's what sent me flying off the wagon. I've worked on my head and am now ready to get back to work on my body.

Katie Bee
HW347/SW322/CW253/GW150

Pamela B.
on 1/18/15 12:55 pm
VSG on 07/31/12

I know I really have problems with starchy stuff (chips/nachos, etc).  I have never had a sweet tooth, so that really isn't a problem.  I lost 30 pounds preop even though I was only required to lose about 20, and then 70 more over the next year....well mostly the first 6 months.  I have tried and just can't seem to move.  Yes, I eat things I shouldn't, but I usually stay at about 1400 calories.  It is frustrating because it seems like whether I am good or bad, it is the same.  I weigh myself pretty much every day to kind of stay in check, although I will only record once a week.  I am hoping the fitbit will keep me more active.  This week, I have dug out my Wii Fit and been working on that pretty much daily along with walking more.  As of this morning, I was almost 3 pounds UP!  I am not giving up though!!

Ms.Desertdoll
on 1/14/15 5:23 am, edited 1/14/15 8:28 am

First congratulations on taking a step to better your health. Here are some tips or suggestions I have. Use the ones that work for you.

(1) The fitbit works on certain arm movements (much to my dismay, typing is not counted as stepping) so there is an error margin. If you are doing an exercise such as weight lifting where your legs are not moving, post process the time as exercising and the fitbit will drop those steps from your step count. (Note: If you use the floor feature on the charge or surges, note the default information for determining floors.)

(2) Don't try too much at one time if you are new to exercising. Pick one goal to work on. Example don't worry about getting in intensive exercise everyday or excess calories if you still working on getting in 10,000 steps.

(3) Remember the fitbit is only a tool. The calorie goals only work if you put in your food and your weight. As you lose or gain weight you need to change the weight on the fitbit,  so that the calories burned is calculating correctly. And even in the best of situations don't rely on the calorie count to be 100% accurate or the heart monitor if you own with that on it. (If you have the heart beat monitor remember to make the band tighter during exercising and loose (able to move up and down your wrist) for normal wear.

(4) Don't obsess. If you don't make 10,000 steps today, no problem you will make 15000 one day this weekend. Maybe make your goal weekly instead of daily.

(5) Get fitness pals to motive you but pick people near your current level or adjust your goals to your level and be ok with being different. I personally can do over 10,000 steps on my morning run but take those out and then I notice I sit for hours at my work desk not moving. My fitness pals work on 10,000 steps a day. I want 5,000 more than whatever I ran for the day.

(6) Depending on your the type of fitbit you have and the way you sleep, the sleep mode may not be that accurate. Play with it to figure out what information you need.

(7) Charge your fitbit when you won't be moving as much. Like I said during work is the perfect time for me because I am not moving much. Your best times might be every Friday during your two shows. Whatever works.

(8) And if you are sensitive to electronic waves coming from various devices, this may not be for you. The fitbit continuously sends out waves to your phone/computer and to the doggle. Although it is not an issue for me, it may cause headaches for some people.

The fitbit  only works if you use it. To some it is just a glorified pedometer but others it is the tool that keeps them moving. I like my fitbit for everyday use but I use another device when I am actively training that works better for me.

Hope something I put on my list was useful to you. Enjoy your fitbit!

Most Active