ADIPEX-P

MMB29
on 1/20/15 11:57 am - Bensalem, PA

I had my surgery done almost 5 years ago. Pre-op weight was 326lbs. I hit my goal weight 2 years ago which was 135 but decided I could afford to lose another 10lbs. So I have maintained my weight of 125lbs for over a year now. I have poly cystic ovaries and I am still having trouble finding a birthcontrol (pill form) that regulates my period. In October my gyno suggested the Depo for the first time. I had my first shot in Oct & my second one in Dec. I have never gained back any weight since I have had my surgery nor have I ever had any weight gain with any forms of birth control until now. I haven't changed my calories intakes or diet or my exercise routine in fact after I noticed weight gain I went even healthier (If that's even possible) and increased my cardio and I haven't lost a pound. Since I have been on the depo I have gained 20lbs. I am VERY upset by this! I know some people say they gain back 20 to 50lbs but I have and make a conscious effort NOT to be that group that does. My family physician suggested ADIPEX-P. I just started taking it today with no side effects. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED THIS AMOUNT OF WEIGHT GAIN WITH THE DEPO SHOT? ALSO HAS ANYONE TRIED ADIPIX-P (POST OP) AND HAS IT HELPED ETC? ANY FEED BACK ON EITHER QUESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!! THANKS!!!!! :)

prettyinpink16
on 1/24/15 1:11 pm - GA

I did the Depo shot prior to surgery and gained 40 pounds in 1 year and over all I gained about 100 pounds but I took the shot for about 4 or 5 years. I'm not sure if all of the gain was do to the shot but I never had weight gain prior to it. I've also used the diet pill off and on for years trying to lose the weight gained, but all of this was prior to my weight lost surgery. Wishing you well.

Sarah M.
on 1/26/15 4:10 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

I did the Depo shot as well for about 2 years, and not only gained weight (though I'm not sure that was because of the Depo shot - probably more on me), but also had these weird holes in my memory.  I stopped when a study was published linking Depo to memory loss in 2011.  I couldn't remember really simple things, like my cell phone number or my zip code.  The study is here: http://researchmatters.asu.edu/stories/hormone-birth-control-shot-linked-memory-loss-2059

Hope everything works out!

AuroraBorellis
on 3/4/15 8:31 am

I had the Depo shot prior to surgery and gained 40 pounds...only to never lose it. I always over ate, but my diet hadn't changed in years, so...it could have been the shot.

I took Adipex-P for years. Please remember a few things...it can cause cardiac problems, even if you take it for a while with no issues, they can pop up suddenly. Please watch for signs of chest pain. I LOVED how it made me feel, but, essentially, it's speed and when I'd come off of it, I was a complete psycho for two days, then I slept for a few days, then I was okay. Anyways...in all of the times that I've taken Adipex-P, it only ever amounted to a 20 pound weight loss in one month. 20 pounds is great to lose in a month, but it's not a lot in the larger scheme of being obese. It kills your appetite, I could stay awake for days, I got sooo much done, and I'd lose 20 pounds! No matter how long I'd take it, I'd only ever lose 20 pounds though. I took it for years off and on, mostly for months at a time.

Most Active