OPINIONS ON MULTIPLE SHORT (5-10MIN) EXERCISES VS ONE 30-60 MIN

VeraG
on 2/20/15 2:55 am, edited 2/23/15 11:35 pm - Bonner Springs, KS

Just wondering what everyone's opinons were on doing 6-8 - 10 minute exercises per day versus one 30 - 60 workout daily.

Living until I die!

Stacy_WLS
on 2/22/15 7:42 am

Honestly -- I think doing whatever works for you is best.  If you would rather break it up or that works in your schedule better then do that.  If you'd rather knock it out in one shot do that.  

Exercise is more for general health than for weight loss.  I think getting activity in any way you can is great :)

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/15 3:23 am - GA

Hello and great question. The most important thing is to make sure you are getting your exercise in. Something is always better than nothing. However research has shown and my own experience as over 12 years of personal training is its most effective to do one 30-60 minute of exercise daily for several reasons:

1. A good exercise program consists of several components regardless if its a cardio and/strength training workout. The components are a warm up, stretching, the actual exercise program, cool down and stretching (again). This is done to prevent injury from starting the program with cold muscles. Ten minutes is not enough time to incorporate all these elements. The only exception may be, which I am not a fan is dong a DVD such as Tony Horton's Ten Minute Trainer DVD.

2. To lose weight the heart rate and exertion need to be sustained at a certain level for a certain period of time to keep you in the fat burning, weight loss zone. Ten minutes is not enough time.

With just 10 minutes it may be very tempting to skip the warm-up. Here is a blog I wrote entitled, "You Can Skip The Warm Up Before Exercising--Right" which may be very helpful. Have a great day.

VeraG
on 2/24/15 5:52 am - Bonner Springs, KS

Thank you so much for your responses.

Living until I die!

Paul C.
on 2/25/15 1:52 am - Cumming, GA

it depends on what your goals are.  Overall 10 minutes a day is not enough duration for cardio or weightloss as this requires a susained HR for a longer period of time.  Could this method be beneficial for maintaining or Building lean muscle mass, possibly if done right. 

To really understand how beneficial something is going to be you need to first have the Goal and then understand physiologically to some degree what needs to happen to obtain those goals.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active